Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Geekbench Your Computer

Geekbench is a free (for the tryout version) benchmarking software that is pretty much used to benchmark anything from tablets and phones to server mainframes. A score of 1000 indicates roughly the performance of a laptop-grade 8th generation i3. If you get 1000, you can expect pretty good performance, but some devices get over 1,300 (particularly Apple's mobile devices and some high-clockspeed Intel processors). 

Anyway, I benchmarked my machine. These were my results. I got 631 for single core, and 1414 for multi core. It's on a 2012 Macbook Pro with a 3rd gen dual-core i3 at 2.5-2.9ghz. It's not very good by today's standards, but it's fast enough to get the job done. 

If you've benchmarked your machine, I'm curious to see what you get. Share both the benchmark and the CPU specs! You can download Geekbench 5 here. It's free for the tryout mode, which is usually plenty enough to get the benchmark done. Big Grin

See, the thing with Geekbench scores is that 1000 is measured to be a 'baseline' standard from some 8th gen i3.
Note that i3's are at the cheaper end for budget computing, and as a result will have better single-threaded performance because they're for consumers who don't do computationally-intensive tasks that require multiple cores (note again that the i3 in question is 4C/4T, meaning it doesn't pack 2 logical cores per physical core, already bottlenecking multithreaded performance.)

So having a result around 600 for single-threaded performance and 1400 for multithreaded is actually more or less average even by today's standards for anything that isn't complete budget. And Macbooks are certainly not budget by any means, rather, MacOS (or in your case OS X) is based on BSD and is built tailored to the hardware for the most optimal performance.

Note the Geekbench scores I got on a pretty old Acer: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/1959003
Roughly the same score for single-threaded tasks, but since it's an i7, multithreading is significantly faster.

But also keep in mind the Macbook you benchmarked was running at 2.50GHz and because it's a mobile-series CPU, it will throttle for power draw. The base score CPU runs at 3.60GHz according to Intel page. You're able to get some really good scores at like two thirds of the clock speed. And that's pretty f*** impressive.

Now unlock your bootloader/BIOS and OC that thing to shit lmao. Liquid Nitrogen cooling on that bihhhh
Nice scores. The multi scales nicely.

I'm very surprised that my multicore result was more than twice the number of cores. Yes, hyperthreading showed an advantage. Usually geekbench scores don't really score linearlly, e.g. you could get 1000 on one core, and only get 3000 on 4 cores.

Anything above about 500 or so is more or less sufficient, but single core results make a difference on starting applications, among a lot of other things (and gaming especially). My macbook air got around 800 before it got stolen. The MS server got around 730.

I don't think I'll be unlocking the BIOS on this thing though. Apple probs has that locked down better than the Pentagon. Huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1330jgW9g

All you need is a CH341A to dump the EFI and enough bravery and confidence in yourself not to brick everything when you hexedit some arbitrary values and flash it back Smile
tbh i wanna get myself a ch341a, just to f*** with old 25$ laptops that were dug out of the basement after 12 years i find on local marketplaces (or stolen i dont know,, i dont ask questions i dont want to know the answers to smh)
Single-Core Score

Multi-Core Score
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
(June 11th, 2020 at 2:52 AM)Thomas Wrote: 1147
Single-Core Score

Multi-Core Score

Nice score, what CPU? 

@Lain: Finna Tongue

(June 11th, 2020 at 3:08 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote:
(June 11th, 2020 at 2:52 AM)Thomas Wrote: 1147
Single-Core Score

Multi-Core Score

Nice score, what CPU? 

@Lain: Finna Tongue

Core i7 6700K
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
have no idea of the whole thing but here

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are your computer specifications? Darth-Apple 50 77,259 June 11th, 2020 at 11:29 PM
Last Post: Thomas
  Your iPhone probably outperforms your computer. Darth-Apple 2 3,115 June 7th, 2019 at 5:04 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  Your dream computer workstation Darth-Apple 29 38,076 May 22nd, 2018 at 6:59 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Computer in your pocket? Rasberry Pi makes it possible Darth-Apple 9 16,852 June 3rd, 2017 at 5:17 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost