Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Computer in your pocket? Rasberry Pi makes it possible

Recently, a neat device called the Rasberry Pi arrived on the technology scene. It's literally a pocket sized computer capable of running a full installation of Linux. It's fairly modest (don't expect dual-core 3.3ghz CPUs), but more than capable of doing many basic things, including running printer servers, serving as a web server for static content, or if you have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor, literally serving as a home computer.

The cost is also pretty impressive. $25/35 is all it will cost, depending on whether you want 256MB or 512MB of RAM. I haven't purchased mine yet, but I definitely think these little devices seem pretty flexible, especially at their low cost. I plan on getting one as soon as I get the money together for one. In my opinion, it's a lot of power for the price of a microcontroller. Big Grin

I plan to buy one of these.. but considering the fact that I'm unemployed and nearly out of money I had better not do it just yet :/
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
I plan on getting mine this July. Money is very tight, but man these things look like a lot of fun. Big Grin

I have enough technology for now. Maybe down the road I'll consider it. Tongue
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
(May 23rd, 2013 at 3:10 PM)simlink link Wrote: I have enough technology for now. Maybe down the road I'll consider it. Tongue
Who doesn't have enough technology? Tongue

You can NEVER have enough technology!!!!! *coughcoughcough*
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
Well that's easy for you to say Tongue
Actually, I'm with you. No such thing as too much. Big Grin

Or you could purchase one of those usb sticks with Android on them... They act like mini-PCs... I don't find the use for one right now... Maybe if you travel a lot or something like that...
[Image: mrnc7tt5xg8n7y494418.jpg]
The Pi definitely is an interesting concept... But not something I'd really use tbh Tongue.
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
it's a raspberry pi 3 that's at the core of my wearable computer right now, as well as a lot of other mods around my house, I've been using individual pi zeroes and such to DIY smart house upgrades Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are your computer specifications? Darth-Apple 50 72,544 June 11th, 2020 at 11:29 PM
Last Post: Thomas
  Geekbench Your Computer Darth-Apple 7 4,300 June 11th, 2020 at 8:33 AM
Last Post: tc4me
  Your iPhone probably outperforms your computer. Darth-Apple 2 3,010 June 7th, 2019 at 5:04 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  Your dream computer workstation Darth-Apple 29 37,482 May 22nd, 2018 at 6:59 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost