Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

This Land is My Land

So, I bought this early access game on Steam, and I can't stop playing it. It's still got bugs, and still needs some work, but its already a masterpiece:

Quote:Experience the frontier as a chief of a Native American tribe and resist the onset of the settlers. Explore the vast world full of hostile humans and animals while defining your narrative through the decisions you make. Survive, hunt, craft, unite and lead the tribes to take back your lands. 

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/10696...s_My_Land/

Every playthrough is different, as the game world is procedurally generated and even the name you choose comes with different benefits or struggles.
Not sure how to feel about this one as someone with native ancestry... On the other hand... I'd like to try a playthrough where the pale faces lose hard.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Not sure how to feel about this either. Being a Native, I'd welcome the white settlers and their Christianity, certainly not fight against it.
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
(November 28th, 2019 at 5:14 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Not sure how to feel about this one as someone with native ancestry... On the other hand... I'd like to try a playthrough where the pale faces lose hard.

I've been trying to do just that, but this game is HARD. Even on the easiest start... it's a challenge. I've yet to be successful in keeping them from advancing.

(November 28th, 2019 at 5:43 PM)Thomas Wrote: Not sure how to feel about this either. Being a Native, I'd welcome the white settlers and their Christianity, certainly not fight against it.

It's past history now, and nothing can change it, but in hindsight I would definitely say the Natives were too hospitable and way too trusting towards the Europeans. As a predominately European-ancestry based American, I would say even I wish the colonization had not been as successful. The European treatment of Natives, even after capitulation, was shameful to say the least. The world lost too many people, tribes, and not to mention languages.
@ Guardian: if it were up to me and I didn't mind creating a parallel timeline...
I'd probably give the natives three technologies they could probably handle at their development level.
Glass/lens making.
Gunpowder
Hot air Baloons. (maybe)

I think if nothing else the gunpowder would give them an edge against early european settlers.
giving them primitive flight and the ability to make long ranged weapons using existing tools well...
yeah lol.
there were more individual nations on this continent than there are in the world today, and just as many unique languages, I'd like to see the manifesters meet a foe that's able to actually fight back without needing to become like them.
I think the big things would have been:
1. Advance warning that, despite initially being friendly, the 'white man' was there to take all of their land and eliminate the Natives over time.
2. With this advance warning comes more medical knowledge, and gradual exposure and buildup of immunity to European diseases. Who knows, maybe one developed on their own that the Europeans weren't exposed to.
3. Additional help with technology and resources, i.e. horses, the wheel, metalworking, and gunpowder.

Then it could be a fair fight.
(November 30th, 2019 at 11:07 PM)Guardian Wrote: I think the big things would have been:
1. Advance warning that, despite initially being friendly, the 'white man' was there to take all of their land and eliminate the Natives over time.
2. With this advance warning comes more medical knowledge, and gradual exposure and buildup of immunity to European diseases. Who knows, maybe one developed on their own that the Europeans weren't exposed to.
3. Additional help with technology and resources, i.e. horses, the wheel, metalworking, and gunpowder.

Then it could be a fair fight.

I guess it comes down to how early then... and there are a lot of native tribes to reach out to.

I'd have to get there maybe 30 or 40 years early, have an easy way to travel, a way to communicate with the various tribes... maybe unite them some how like the EU?

because the east coast and gulf of mexico bordering tribes are the ones with the earliest contact in north america...

now if I wanted to go all non interference I could just sink all ships sailing to the americas or some how turn them around but even then...

yeah figuring out a way to give the natives enough time to prepare and the knowledge to do so would be an incredible challenge.

do you know the legend of kokopeli.

it's a mythological figure that shows up among tons of cultures in the area about a traveler who taught the locals stuff and told stories.
(December 1st, 2019 at 2:09 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: I guess it comes down to how early then... and there are a lot of native tribes to reach out to.

I'd have to get there maybe 30 or 40 years early, have an easy way to travel, a way to communicate with the various tribes... maybe unite them some how like the EU?

because the east coast and gulf of mexico bordering tribes are the ones with the earliest contact in north america...

now if I wanted to go all non interference I could just sink all ships sailing to the americas or some how turn them around but even then...

yeah figuring out a way to give the natives enough time to prepare and the knowledge to do so would be an incredible challenge.

do you know the legend of kokopeli.

it's a mythological figure that shows up among tons of cultures in the area about a traveler who taught the locals stuff and told stories.

United into confederacies seemed to be their way. So that would work.

I've thought as an interesting Alt History novel. A task force from another timeline with the responsibility to keep Europeans from entering the Americas for 'scientific research' or some other purpose.

Kokopeli needed to do more. Tongue
Tongue yeah, from what I understand he was a travelling trader who went from as far north as Colorado and as far south as central america, the maya, olmec, toltec, etc, knew of him... so yeah.

and If he was a time traveler... well he really did need to do more lol.