Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Playstation 5

Ever since the original PlayStation hit the market in 1994, Sony's series of videogame consoles has stuck to the numbers. No "Super," no "Max," no "Code Red Xtreme"; just PlayStations 2, 3, and 4. With such unwavering consistency, the name of the next iteration has been a question only in the most technical sense—but Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan is still ready to answer it. The console, he tells me, will be called PlayStation 5. "It's nice to be able to say it," he says. "Like a giant burden has been lifted from my shoulders."

So. There you go. PlayStation 5, holidays 2020.

More: https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/
---------------------------------

Thoughts? Anyone plan on getting it? Waiting?
glad I waited instead of getting a PS4 pro lol.

happy that microborg is running behind.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
The PS4 has had a remarkably long life. It is also quite a bit beefier than the Playstation. There comes a point when you simply have enough. It has a relatively decent full-HD graphics, enough RAM to run anything, and a decent amount of CPU power. It can run pretty much anything that any developer can throw at it.

The PS5 is going to have to have some serious internals in order to really make it worth the upgrade. Even though the pS4 Pro already supports 4K, the PS5 will probably support significantly more detail with 4K video. Besides that, I don't know how much room they really have to go further with a nominal price range that makes a game console more affordable than PC gaming. The PS4 is already killing it for what it is.

That said, each upgrade, people found a new ways to make use of the new processing power. Only time will really tell, but I imagine that we will definitely see why we needed it within a couple of years.

I don't know if it's worth the upgrade unless you're a complete urban*te tbh.
Unless your neighbourhood had gigabit speeds (which are also affordable.)

I've heard enough of the rumours on its release, and you're right in the sense that it's probably not worth the upgrade. We don't play games at anything higher than 4K (and if you're competitive, 1440p to max the framerate.) To push 8K, you need 4x the pixel pushing power, and that's likely not coming anytime soon. The PS4Pro handles that fine.

But what I've noticed is that I'm seeing tons of ads for PSNow (the game streaming service that PS offers.) It's laggy and buggy and mostly a scam, especially if you have terrible internet (mine's far from horrible but it's not exactly great.) Haven't personally tried it, but lots of the reviews are bad. Maybe if, as stated, you're an urbanite with really good internet speeds, it's probably going to be a lot better, but small town me who doesn't live next to a datacentre is going to have a lot more trouble having any fun with the service.

So I'm wondering if the PS5 is going to have some kind of neat PSNow preloading or optimization. Like, it'll have some sort of asset cache or something so the service doesn't need to render textures and high-poly models and transfer that data in milliseconds, instead handling lots of that processing on the system, and instead focus on sending the game logic and actual code over the data stream.

Just a theory though. It's odd that they're really pushing PSNow though.
I think you hit it Lain. Unless you're willing to spend to support the visuals and speed, and sometimes you can't even due to infrastructure limitations.

Personally, I do my game playing offline. With the current trend, I expect most games will be online-only or the majority of supported features will be VR or online. Both of which I have no interest in.

I plan on giving it a year or two, then buying one cheaper (maybe) after I know there's some games I would be able to play on it.
Same, honestly, I like my PS4, and I don't have any plans to go 4k or credit, and I have an occulous. Vr just isn't there yet.
Seems I was wrong about the 8k thing:
https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/co...es-1213409

Looks like with new raytracing capabilities in modern GPUs, 8k might actually be possible.
Then again, who in the hell has an 8k TV at disposal just to play some games? We barely have 4k video content that isn't just an upscaling from 1080/1440p.

I like that they're going with AMD though. It's a nice 'f*** you' to Nvidia and Intel after their last two years of crashing and burning with overpriced last-gen hardware marketed as current-gen. And since AMD generally has better support for Linux and the open-source community as a whole, I'm wondering if we're going to see better homebrew options for PS5 like we did when the XBox was hacked and people started running Linux on it since it was the most affordable 'computer' on the market. (Fantastic book, by the way. Read it if you get a chance, pretty sure it's on LibGen.) Would be cool if the same started to happen for Playstation. Maybe the Vita homebrew groups will jump on it now that the Vita is officially discontinued.

But it seems that I was (partially) right about the PSNow thing. It's not explicitly mentioned in the article, but it does mention PS4 backwards compatibility.
And PS4 does technically have backwards compatibility if you use PSNow. Thus, I still think that prediction is going to hold true.

Is it worth the upgrade for me? Probably not. I only play weeb games anyway like JRPGs or anything that's inspired by Japanese culture in some way (think: Nioh and Sekiro) and most of those games aren't beautiful by any means. Well, I mean, the anime girls are cute and beautiful and all, but it's not graphically demanding. You know what I mean, leave me alone. In any case, I don't need to spend 500$ to see the cute girls in 8k.
I wouldn't want to see the pricetag on an 8k PS5 right now, but then again, I just want the PS5.

Not that I need an upgrade, just excited to see what the final product is.
I'm far more interested in what the hardware hacking and homebrew communities are going to do with it... Emulators for all previous consoles instead of just previous PlayStations.
(February 14th, 2020 at 3:59 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: I'm far more interested in what the hardware hacking and homebrew communities are going to do with it... Emulators for all previous consoles instead of just previous PlayStations.
Yeah I'm excited for that too. Unfortunately, since both current-gen consoles use TPM/SGX (and DEP in the case of XB1) as well as virtualizing everything, hacking the devices is next to impossible.
But maybe with AMD hardware, something might be possible, mainly because there are tons of open-source drivers for AMD meaning that people could figure out what the hell goes on beneath the mask that Nvidia/Intel always hated telling people.
Of course, only time will tell, but I'm going to assume it's more likely in the case of PS5.
Wait... Isn't there ps4, switch, and xb1 homebrew?
(February 14th, 2020 at 4:57 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Wait... Isn't there ps4, switch, and xb1 homebrew?
There are always rumours of priv8 exploits and whatnot, but nothing was ever actually confirmed.
At most, people have been figuring out how to emulate the devices, but that's about it. There were a few small public PS4 exploits in the past but nothing persistent that didn't get patched the next reboot.

The switch does have a homebrew community though, yes. Lots of their demoscene operates on discord AFAIK, but theyre also moneyhungry and constantly ask for donations even when people send them 1000s a month.
It looks like a router.

I still haven't bought a ps4 or xbone
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
here my Playstation 5  Finna Finna Finna

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
Tongue 

I'm not even sure if I'm going to get one at this point. At least, as soon as it comes out. Might end up waiting a year or two until there's a game I want to play on it.
Ppl going nuts over the 4K at 30FPS or whatever that came out.
But 4K at 60FPS is barely achievable even with OC'd 2000$ parts. Rendering is different than video playback, so yeah, 4k/30FPS is pretty standard for a high-end gaming PC even nowadays. And it's not like everyone has a 4K TV. If you really are going for max shiny bloom effects, then you're already going to be a PC gamer and spend astronomical amounts.

But for the average consumer and someone who just wants to play vidya, then a few hundred isn't that bad.
But yeah. Def on board for just waiting a while, at least until PS4 is finally 'deprecated' by all game companies. I got mine around 2-3 years ago, so I'm hoping for at least another two or three of lifespan.
(June 28th, 2020 at 4:30 PM)Lain Wrote: Ppl going nuts over the 4K at 30FPS or whatever that came out.
But 4K at 60FPS is barely achievable even with OC'd 2000$ parts.

This is not true any longer. 4K at 60 FPS can be done relatively easily nowadays. My upper mid-end GPU gets me 4K 45 FPS in Red Dead Redemption 2 high / ultra.
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
Eh I'm still sticking with 1080p so 4k doesn't matter to me...
That being said, new ratchet and clank looks interesting, as does that Tokyo ghost/demon hunting game.

As far as the PS4 goes. I'm kinda disappointed that nobody's managed to get custom software/firmware on it yet.