Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Brand new Mac stolen...

So y'all, I have some relatively bad news? 

I bought a brand new Macbook air (the 2018 retina model) about three weeks ago. The thing was honestly, quite frankly, an awesome piece of technology. The battery life was insanely good. It wasn't the fastest machine in the world (1.6 ghz dual core, although the turbo would go up to ~3ghz for a few seconds at a time while you were opening programs or booting). 

Anyway, I was downtown with some people last week, and it got stolen out of my car. I suppose I forgot to lock it, but either way, it's nowhere to be found. Find my iPhone has been no good whatsoever, and it hasn't been connected to the internet since I lost it. I've locked it, and nobody will be able to do anything to it without my password that I locked it with. 

I've also filed a police report, and if someone tries to pawn it, it's gonna turn up. 

Wish me luck getting this thing back guys. Hopefully I'll get it returned to me sooner rather than later, but if not, I suppose I'm out ~1,000. 

On the bright side, at least I have my 2012, and this thing is still a champ. Still works great, and will probably last several more years before it's completely obsolete. Finna

Oh shit that's rough. I hope you find it soon!
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
Oh, that's terrible to hear! Nothing I hate more than thieves. Might sound medieval but taking a hand for theft should still be valid punishment. There would be a lot less theft in the world.

I hope you get it back and they get caught.
Thanks guys.

I'm not too upset about it. I almost bought another one, but for the time being, I'm going back to using my 2012 Pro. The 1280x800 screen can be a bit of a drag, but outside of that it's a perfectly capable machine despite its age.

There are worse things in the world.

man that really sucks darth Sad

as for locking your car... even with an alarm, I've learned recently there's a lot of ways to get into a car that do not involve breaking the glass and or picking the lock.

case in point, if you have a towel, a crow bar, and a long stick and your car has those push button locks, you can slightly pry the window seam open, slide said stick in and unlock the car, no key or damage required, it's why I keep any electronics on me at all times even though my car has an alarm system... easily circumvented if someone can get the hood open and unplug the battery.

anyway enough doomsaying lol, seriously though, sorry about the loss of your macbook, was it insured in any way and or has it turned up yet?
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
I saw it on find my mac briefly on Friday night. I sprinted downtown as quick as possible and called the police to meet me there and it turned out the location it showed was in a small, two story indoor shopping mall building. Didn't quite make a lot of sense, and it was downtown with a lot of other businesses nearby. It was also late at night, and was closed.

The police couldn't do a whole lot with the mall being closed. And unfortunately the location accuracy apparently isn't great. It could be anywhere in the vicinity, and there is no way to really tell which business it's in.

So far, no luck. Just using my old one in the meantime and saving up for a new one. Possibly going to go for one of the new ones when they come out later this year.

(June 4th, 2019 at 10:02 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I saw it on find my mac briefly on Friday night. I sprinted downtown as quick as possible and called the police to meet me there and it turned out the location it showed was in a small, two story indoor shopping mall building. Didn't quite make a lot of sense, and it was downtown with a lot of other businesses nearby. It was also late at night, and was closed.

The police couldn't do a whole lot with the mall being closed. And unfortunately the location accuracy apparently isn't great. It could be anywhere in the vicinity, and there is no way to really tell which business it's in.

So far, no luck. Just using my old one in the meantime and saving up for a new one. Possibly going to go for one of the new ones when they come out later this year.

In that scenario, may have been turned on to see if it works for someone selling to someone else in public, or selling it off to a pawn shop.
@ darth, Guardian is right, however that brings you a lot closer to finding it since that narrows down anywhere to roughly there.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing Ubuntu on an Intel Mac Darth-Apple 4 1,893 February 13th, 2023 at 6:09 PM
Last Post: tc4me
  Apple (apparently) scraps M2 Extreme Mac Pro (again) Darth-Apple 0 804 December 21st, 2022 at 5:16 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  Mojave (The new Mac OS) Darth-Apple 3 6,223 July 3rd, 2018 at 8:22 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Mobile phone brand robertson123 20 26,853 June 2nd, 2017 at 11:10 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost