Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Video Course Opinions?

I've been feeling really confident with my programming skills over the last few weeks since I've been able to actually pump out a decent amount of projects that actually work and have some degree of optimization. As such, I've considered making my own little video tutorial series on programming (specifically C++, for a number of reasons.) If anything, the series will be put up on Youtube since I'm pretty new with content creation and don't want to monetize immediately with Udemy or something. Knowledge should be free.

So I'm asking you guys, have you ever tried to learn from a video series? What was your biggest pet peeve with it? Why did you stop (if you stopped) or what kept you coming back to learn from that one series of tutorials?

Right now, I want to start doing a focus on adding some sort of 'homework,' like small projects that I'll explain at the end of a video then go over a solution in the next video or something like that. Since I'm a bit mic/camera shy, I've also noticed my videos take pretty long since 1. I'm giving some pretty detailed explanations and 2. I'm speaking a bit slowly from shyness.

What else would you personally like to see? (Not that I'm gonna spam advertise my shit here, but just so I know what the audience is looking for rather than simply going for it without a regard for the viewers.)
Do you have any examples of some stuff you've done?
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
(May 16th, 2019 at 3:31 AM)Thomas Wrote: Do you have any examples of some stuff you've done?

Videos? No, since I've never really done anything along these lines, which is why I'm looking for opinions Smile
Code samples? A few, mostly based around security and the likes, as well as a few code snippets from hackathons and homework I've done for my GF for her compsci classes Tongue
Definitely used videos to learn and figure things out.

My biggest annoyances: Being slow for most of the video, talking about the weather and how you're dog is so cute, but then BLAZE past the technical part like everyone already knows what you're doing and only cared about the weather.

So, generally, get to the point quickly, but slow down a bit for the actual technical parts.

Good luck!
Please do not have super loud heavy metal or electronic music playing throughout!
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
The closest I've gotten to that is watching youtube series on fixing stuff, it comes in handy for more mundane stuff but for really complicated stuff having manuals and textbooks helps too since they're something you can reference easily.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(May 16th, 2019 at 10:38 PM)Thomas Wrote: Please do not have super loud heavy metal or electronic music playing throughout!

Definitely.

I'm preferable to no music, but can accept very low music that doesn't interfere with anything being said. Loud music, absolutely not!