Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Made the Big Switch

Back to Linux. I'll be dual booting between Manjaro and Windows 10 for the time being. I need to keep Windows around for all of my games.

[Image: 9kd08g.png]

I built a second computer as well to keep my Plex server running and my torrents seeding while I dual boot. Ryzen 2200G CPU, 4 GB RAM, mostly built from parts I had lying around.
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
Coolness. I briefly ran Xubunto some time ago and it was awesome. But I really like Windows 10 64 bit Pro and my g/f and I are huge PC gamers so.... Big Grin
This looks nice. Haven't used that variant. I used Mint for a few years. Was my favorite. A lot fo them have come so far there's actually decent options now.
actually manjaro has excellent gaming support! it's actually recommended alongside Pop! OS for it's up to date drivers and ease of gaming installs!
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(May 12th, 2019 at 2:51 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: actually manjaro has excellent gaming support! it's actually recommended alongside Pop! OS for it's up to date drivers and ease of gaming installs!

It definitely is great, and it's way better than it used to be. It still doesn't quite cut it for me.

I found a great foobar clone called deadbeef. Highly recommend.
[Image: y0blz8.png]
@Thomas, it's getting really close to being on par with windows honestly, it's kinda frightening how far linux has come in the nearly twenty years since the last major attempt at making it an equal in the gaming and compatibility sense.

Loki Games was a really awesome company back in the day, they were just a decade or so too early.

now with valve helping push, and soon google as well as libraries like vulkan and such, it's inevitable that OS will matter way less than it used to in the near future.

and honestly, I can't wait for that day to get here.
Cities Skylines runs perfectly on Manjaro! Lots of games do through Steamplay. It's crazy!
right?! Linux gaming is actually really becoming a thing Big Grin
Using Xfce instead of GNOME now

[Image: j7l9m2.png]
looks gorgeous
you look gorgeous! Smile
The desktop lol, that wallpaper is really really nice.

very minimalist.
You're still gorgeous Wink

enjoy
[Image: dd6gkr.jpg]
Very sharp, simple. love the no-clutter desktop too.
I agree. Very nice desktop!

I’ve tried cities skylines on Ubuntu and it was very laggy. I play on integrated graphics, so the performance has always been sub-par. Not sure if it was a driver issue, but I definitely got better results with Windows or Mac.

I’ve thought about using Manjaro deepin edition instead of Ubuntu. It’s a very nice distro.

@ darth, yeah integrated graphics have always struggled under linux, their drivers are usually sub-par.

though I hear Nvidia and AMD apu's with built in graphics cards get decent performance.

just avoid intel, they have awful linux support in their drivers.
That explains it. It’s definitely... subpar on HD 4600.

Hopefully they fix that. The Ice Lake CPUs that are coming out now are supposedly, for the first time, putting respectable discreet-class graphics (albeit on the low end) into the chip. It’s going to increase the reliance on integrated graphics in the future.

Darth: it doesn't help that intel has been incredibly resistant to linux support on their chipsets for a very long time.

AMD has always worked with open source efforts with drivers and such, and nvidia actually writes native linux drivers, which is why those two usually are better options.

This was part of my reason for building an AMD CPU/Nvidia gpu based system for my hybrid windows/linux primary system, I could get linux native drivers for both the CPU and GPU chipsets to ensure the same if not close to the same compatibility with hardware as I could in windows.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom Video Switch SpookyZalost 0 1,730 October 7th, 2019 at 2:52 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Pentium 4 Prescott - the worst CPU ever made Darth-Apple 1 2,205 June 5th, 2019 at 2:49 AM
Last Post: Thomas
  Google In Hot Water Over Big Security Hole In Chrome Marc 6 11,063 August 11th, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Last Post: Gmdykfuiygh66476