Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Set up my Pi-Hole

Shoulda done this way sooner. It's astonishing how much they all try to spy on you.

In short, the pi-hole is a DNS server that acts like your 1GB hosts file on its own by blocking whatever domains you feed it. You can use it as an adblocker, a malware domain blocker or something that just blocks all sorts of gov't/telemetry servers from botnetting you.

I already use ublock origin, so I don't really get any requests to advertising servers, meaning my blocked request log is pretty small so far. But in 12hrs, Microshit has tried to send away my data a total of 400 times:

[Image: 3879ff9b8c25c9d8d069e21443e5d5ae.png]

[Image: 5ae7c755e50053e64d62c8db4d7b8a45.png]

I strongly advise you set something up like this ASAP.
https://pi-hole.net/
It's a one-line install script on most major linux platforms. Use it on a Pi, one of my friends is currently setting it up on his Ubuntu Laptop. Doesn't matter, just get it up and running.
This looks great. As I'm shifting away from Chrome and uBlock Origin, I'm not fully wanting to block all ads (support the content creators) but I am wanting to block the annoying ones and some other I have ethical disagreements with. I'm going to check this out. Thanks for dropping the info!
heh, you know... one way to go about this is to run something like pi-hole on a linux enabled netgear router, let the router do the work and you configure/control all data between it, the modem, and anything connected to the router.

it's what i ended up doing, partially because adblock and such are becoming less effective as botnets and scammers/hackers are getting smarter, and partially because i wanted to run my own grey ice which came in handy on my last router I had setup like this.

note: my last router was spiked and killed after the hacker running a botnet got frustrated and gave up due to said ice.

Pi-hole though, I wonder if it works on linux for routers?  might make things easier if I can copy my blacklist over to it.

note: I run Open-WRT on my router, it's super handy.

as a side note, I've thought about it for a while but I may go this route because the idea of a DIY router is kind enticing.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(April 4th, 2019 at 1:25 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: heh, you know... one way to go about this is to run something like pi-hole on a linux enabled netgear router, let the router do the work and you configure/control all data between it, the modem, and anything connected to the router.

it's what i ended up doing, partially because adblock and such are becoming less effective as botnets and scammers/hackers are getting smarter, and partially because i wanted to run my own grey ice which came in handy on my last router I had setup like this.

note: my last router was spiked and killed after the hacker running a botnet got frustrated and gave up due to said ice.

Pi-hole though, I wonder if it works on linux for routers?  might make things easier if I can copy my blacklist over to it.

note: I run Open-WRT on my router, it's super handy.

Pi-Hole is basically just a package of dnsmasq, a frontend and a few other services for managing domains, like sqlite3. If those packages will install and run on your router, then it should work just fine if you do a manual install.
I'll have to give it a shot lain, if not well I've been thinking about doing a homebrew solution for a while that will definitely be able to do so.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google In Hot Water Over Big Security Hole In Chrome Marc 6 11,063 August 11th, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Last Post: Gmdykfuiygh66476