Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Male Rock/Pop Singers

I've noticed that a good majority of the male rock and pop singers out there are tenors. It seems to be a trend that started decades ago and has continued today.

Do you think that being a tenor actually gives a singer an edge as far as pop/rock is concerned in today's music industry? Why or why not?

I think each artist is unique with whichever pitch they are, its what makes music great. I don't think either one has an advantage over the other.
I still wonder why so many male pop singers are tenors. You rarely see a bass singer as the lead singer on a pop hit single these days. I'm struggling to find examples.

Of course in genres such as country, it almost seems to be the other way around.

I think the tenors just have a voice better suited for the pop music industry, it would be hard to imagine a bass singing Amnesia or something. Tongue
A lot of pop songs nowadays I consider just the record label forcing a sound that makes more money, making many styles just sound outdated and bland. An example (it's not pop I know, but still) is a hip-hop producer by the name of DJ Mustard. Many of the hip-hop songs he has produced have incredibly similar beats. For example, if you can stand it, listen to Fergie's "LA Love (La La)" and Jeremih's "Don't Tell 'Em" and see how the beat is so similar.

I guess it could be pop though, since many top 40 songs are rap songs nowadays.
(November 9th, 2014 at 9:03 PM)VRVisions Wrote: I guess it could be pop though, since many top 40 songs are rap songs nowadays.

Pop and Rap. So sad since most of them are talent-less without auto tune, and there is rarely a song with meaning behind the lyrics, just another mainstream "artist" letting out air.  :/
(November 10th, 2014 at 1:42 AM)Clayton Wrote:
(November 9th, 2014 at 9:03 PM)VRVisions Wrote: I guess it could be pop though, since many top 40 songs are rap songs nowadays.

Pop and Rap. So sad since most of them are talent-less without auto tune, and there is rarely a song with meaning behind the lyrics, just another mainstream "artist" letting out air.  :/

And it's at least 70% of the time about love or something of that sort. I hate that. Write about something different. Like, seriously. Make it interesting. But nooooo, you have to write about how you know this lady you've been dating for a whole 2 1/2 weeks is "the one" for you. 

(November 10th, 2014 at 3:07 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote:
(November 10th, 2014 at 1:42 AM)Clayton Wrote:

And it's at least 70% of the time about love or something of that sort. I hate that. Write about something different. Like, seriously. Make it interesting. But nooooo, you have to write about how you know this lady you've been dating for a whole 2 1/2 weeks is "the one" for you. 

That is very true haha, I like classic and modern rock and alternative music the most. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happened to Classic Rock? Darth-Apple 8 4,442 November 17th, 2020 at 5:36 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Your opinion on mainstream pop Darth-Apple 8 7,975 June 24th, 2020 at 3:47 PM
Last Post: Altair
  If you had to decide on the three greatest rock bands of all time... Darth-Apple 4 9,213 November 14th, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  Favorite rock bands Darth-Apple 19 29,255 September 8th, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Last Post: Darth-Apple