Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Old Sim Games

[nostalgia]Anybody remember the pre-EA Sim games? I loved them. For example, I think SimEarth has to be my favorite. Runners-up have to be SC2000 or SC. I've actually recently recieved SimEarth as abandonware, and using DOSBox, it (surprisingly) runs like a charm on this toaster.[/nostalgia]
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
I used to play a lot of the older Sim games as well, back when they didn't require a $1000 gaming rig to enjoy, and they were some of the better games I've ever played. I think that newer graphics and technology is really nice and everything, but seeing recent "sim" games, it seems to have done a lot of harm to the entire category of games. More recent "sim" games have lost a lot of their simplicity that made them so much fun back in the day because their developers have focuses on the graphics more than on the game.

Well, one of my many gripes with SC2013 was that it wasn't produced by Mr Will Wright himself. And in my eyes, he should have all rights to it (though I do respect the fact that he voluntarily retired)

Will write was one of those people who just had a talent for stuff like that. I would really love to see him getting back into all of that stuff. At this point I don't see that happening though.

I've played all of the SimCities including other Sim games including Sim Ant, SimTower, and more.
Thanks for making me feel old (when I'm actually not) Tongue
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
[you] are very old, [you]...
[Image: 9OhWtGN.png]
That is the map of my planet, in its industrial age. Turns out it took 3 million years to reach the atomic age, instead of 4 million years like in OTL. It also seems that trichordates are the supreme sentient rulers of the world Tongue (I'm actually using this as a base for Aconia's history Tongue)
EDIT: Here's a biome map of the world:
[Image: tsEDU15.png]
Light green = boreal forest
White = ice caps/tundra
Dark green = forest
Green = grasslands

This planet is so cold, there is no such thing as the tropics

EDIT: Should move this to Gaming Discussion Tongue

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Finally moved to Gamer's Lounge after 6 months.

ok I'm going to Necro the hell outta this thread, I grew up playing these, SC2K, Sim Isle, Sim Safari and Sim ant were my jam back in the day, also sim copter and streets of simcity but those two I have to play on my PIII due to issues with CPU speed crashing them.

and don't get me started on sim tower lol... that game, I had to make a special dosbox build that runs win 3.1 just to play it! but I'm super happy with it lol.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
I used to love Sim Earth! Same for Sim Copter and Streets.

I wanted the others, just couldn't get a hold of them. Wow, nostalgia. They need to bring some of these back.
Guardian: ever play sim golf? that was a collaboration between Firaxis and Maxis.
sid Meier + will wright Big Grin

It's basically a Build your own golf course management sim, but it's really fun!
(June 1st, 2018 at 2:22 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Guardian: ever play sim golf? that was a collaboration between Firaxis and Maxis.
sid Meier + will wright Big Grin

It's basically a Build your own golf course management sim, but it's really fun!

Don't believe I have ever heard of it. Was it any good?

Someone needs to recreate these games on modern platforms.
yeah it was Big Grin

when I was younger I could easily spend hours playing it... in fact recognition of the firaxis logo from this is what got me to start playing alpha centauri.
here's another one, though it's not a SIMS game it was published by MAXIS.

the original US version of A-TRAIN.

it's for MS dos but it runs great in dosbox, lotta fun that one Big Grin
(June 7th, 2018 at 7:02 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: here's another one, though it's not a SIMS game it was published by MAXIS.

the original US version of A-TRAIN.

it's for MS dos but it runs great in dosbox, lotta fun that one Big Grin

That's another one I missed out on.
I guess the sims 1 and 2 now sorta count as old sim games lol.

time sure does fly doesn't it?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sim Copter Finally patched for modern systems! SpookyZalost 6 5,304 June 6th, 2019 at 11:45 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost