Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Alliance of American Football 2019

[Image: a1dcc93bf86fc9aa19778c775845dd7e9cfd07d6_image-12.png]
The new Alliance of American Football's inaugural season kicks off this weekend. Who's watching?
Great football so far. Highlights from the Birmingham-Memphis game:

Orlando had the biggest win this weekend, blowing out Atlanta 40-6.
Well this is terrible news. After only 8 weeks, the league has suspended operations. Confused 

Quote:After eight weeks of games and less than one season into Alliance of American Football's existence, league owner Tom Dundon has decided to suspend all operations, league co-founder Bill Polian confirmed to ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Tuesday.

"I am extremely disappointed to learn Tom Dundon has decided to suspend all football operations of the Alliance of American Football," Polian said in a statement Tuesday. "When Mr. Dundon took over, it was the belief of my co-founder, Charlie Ebersol, and myself that we would finish the season, pay our creditors, and make the necessary adjustments to move forward in a manner that made economic sense for all.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/2642...sappointed

An interesting take posted just the day prior to the announcement:
https://ambushsportsnetwork.com/2019/04/...undon-aaf/
Yes, this is really shocking news !!

i didnt even know the season had got started

it seems there was not a lot of publicity about it, or I should have known really ?

maybe this was part of the problem?

Thanks so much Guardian for opening up this new thread !!
Sports fanatic
(April 3rd, 2019 at 9:51 AM)brian51 Wrote: Yes, this is really shocking news !!

i didnt even know the season had got started

it seems there was not a lot of publicity about it, or I should have known really ?

maybe this was part of the problem?

Thanks so much Guardian for opening up this new thread !!

Yeah man! It was great football! Orlando was leading the league at 7-1. Steve Spurrier was the coach. Should have been more buzz than there was.
its a total bummer man ..

a total bummer Sad
Sports fanatic
(April 3rd, 2019 at 8:38 PM)brian51 Wrote: its a total bummer man ..

a total bummer Sad

Yep, the attendance was decent, CBS and TNT were starting to pick up more games as it was beating the NBA and NHL in ratings... and the new owner killed it. Just sad.
Do you know the main reason why he would kill the league in mind season like this ??
Sports fanatic
(April 3rd, 2019 at 11:50 PM)brian51 Wrote: Do you know the main reason why he would kill the league in mind season like this ??

The rumors are he bought the league for the gambling-app technology the league developed, just for that. Undecided  He owns the Carolina Hurricanes in NHL and it doesn't hurt him too bad.
Ive heard this  also has to do with some of the other league owners as well, Guardian ?
Sports fanatic
(April 6th, 2019 at 9:59 AM)brian51 Wrote: Ive heard this  also has to do with some of the other league owners as well, Guardian ?

Some have started to lump another in, or blaming both original co-owners for selling to the guy, but I've drifted away from it. Undecided  It's just dead now and as much as I am annoyed at the majority owner, there's nothing I can do but move on. Just gives me more time for yard-work now. Confused
The AAF has filed for bankruptcy, all but assuring the league is dead, never to return.
amazing all the long term build up for this and than how fast it all just went into the dust ?
Sports fanatic

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NCAA Football Season 2019 Guardian 32 16,484 January 15th, 2020 at 9:27 PM
Last Post: Guardian
  Anyone watch football/soccer? Martin 10 13,578 February 7th, 2019 at 1:01 AM
Last Post: Altair
  NCAA Football Season 2018 Guardian 49 48,315 January 9th, 2019 at 12:21 AM
Last Post: brian51
  NCAA Football Season 2017 Guardian 88 115,507 February 10th, 2018 at 1:24 AM
Last Post: Guardian