Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[Debate] The general chat thread

I have the same problem guardian does, basically unless you want to pay century link for their business class fiber internet (lotta $$$), your only option for more than 5 down .8 up is comcast.

I've currently got 50mbps down 5mbps up and it suffices for live streams and stuff... really wish my city would finish deploying it's municipal fiber so I could go tell comcast to screw off.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Believe it or not, AT&T LTE beats quite a lot of ISPs. I'm on a prepaid plan ($40/month), and have gotten 20-30 mbps download in regular use conditions pretty consistently without issues (sometimes faster). The main downside is that it's not really feasible for a home internet connection because the data is metered, but it goes to show how much some ISPs are lagging behind if cell service can beat it. And I do tether pretty frequently when I find out the WIFI sucks. Tongue

xfinity claims to have the fastest and most reliable wifi. however, wifi on my tablet stinks...it keeps dropping. something to do with my router me thinks.
(June 3rd, 2018 at 9:31 PM)VSS Wrote: xfinity claims to have the fastest and most reliable wifi. however, wifi on my tablet stinks...it keeps dropping. something to do with my router me thinks.

vss: are you using the 2.5 ghz band or the 5ghz band, I found that my kindle fire was having issues with signal interference because everybody is using 2.5ghz wireless N, once I switched to 5ghz wireless AC however... problem solved.
(June 3rd, 2018 at 9:32 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: vss: are you using the 2.5 ghz band or the 5ghz band, I found that my kindle fire was having issues with signal interference because everybody is using 2.5ghz wireless N, once I switched to 5ghz wireless AC however... problem solved.

I hate the devices that don't see the 5ghz band. New printer I just got today, doesn't even see it. WTH Canon!?
(June 4th, 2018 at 9:17 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 3rd, 2018 at 9:32 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: vss: are you using the 2.5 ghz band or the 5ghz band, I found that my kindle fire was having issues with signal interference because everybody is using 2.5ghz wireless N, once I switched to 5ghz wireless AC however... problem solved.

I hate the devices that don't see the 5ghz band. New printer I just got today, doesn't even see it. WTH Canon!?

That's ridiculous... I can't imagine devices not supporting it! 

* Darth-Apple says OMG

(June 5th, 2018 at 12:24 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: That's ridiculous... I can't imagine devices not supporting it! 

* Darth-Apple says OMG

Yeah, I mean, I understood it when my old laptop didn't. THAT makes sense to me.

A brand new out-the-box wireless printer? No, that should definitely have it.
good evening makestation freakazoids...just passing by tonight

Quote:vss: are you using the 2.5 ghz band or the 5ghz band, I found that my kindle fire was having issues with signal interference because everybody is using 2.5ghz wireless N, once I switched to 5ghz wireless AC however... problem solved.

iam using 2.4GHZ band. even though i have option to switch to 5GHZ, it wont let me do that..i think comcast controls which band to use me thinks. that stinks eh? what can i do? Rolleyes
(June 5th, 2018 at 3:18 AM)VSS Wrote: good evening makestation freakazoids...just passing by tonight

iam using 2.4GHZ band. even though i have option to switch to 5GHZ, it wont let me do that..i think comcast controls which band to use me thinks. that stinks eh? what can i do? Rolleyes

Hey VSS! How are you?

How old is the device? Curious is if it's a device issue or Comcast. Mine depends on the device, though I have Comcast too.
the router in question is 2 years old. dual band . and its my own not rented..maybe that has something to do with my connection -also, comcast recently upgraded their connection speeds, but they said my router is a bit old and wont get the desired "fast" speeds with new update. and i dont have the money now to buy a new router...the next one will be a modem with built in router, so there wont be too many cords tangling like i have now.
yeah comcast plays stupid games with hardware and pretty much forced me to rent a modem instead of using my perfectly useable setup which was a cable modem and an attached wifi router instead of an all in one unit... seriously I liked having them separate lol.
why we are with comcast all these year perplexes me bro. will look into directtv and dishtv options
well here my options are comcast 5mbps up 50mbps down or century link .8mbps up 5mbps down... I only have once choice really if I use the net for more than casual browsing.

at least until my city finishes the infrastructure for municipal fiber.
iam 95 up and 5 or 10 down, i win. wonder how fast if switch to dishtv internet hmm
My only issues with satellite is reduced or down service with bad weather. We have bad weather a lot, and that's when I use it the most.
good morning makestation fanatics. just passing by on this grey day.

p.s. ive added this forum's sig on another forum to spread the word so to speak...i havent done that in over a year.
(June 7th, 2018 at 3:36 PM)VSS Wrote: good morning makestation fanatics. just passing by on this grey day.

p.s. ive added this forum's sig on another forum to spread the word so to speak...i havent done that in over a year.

Good morning to you as well! How's life treating you? 

And thank you for the support!

(June 7th, 2018 at 3:36 PM)VSS Wrote: good morning makestation fanatics. just passing by on this grey day.

Hey VSS! Thanks for the sig drop! Always helpful for others to help bring in new faces and make this place even greater. Thank you.