Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Good IDE to use?

As many of you probably already know, I do quite a bit of PHP programming, as well as additonal programming in some other languages. Currently I do all of my PHP development on a live server since my localhost tends to screw things up at times. Notepadd++ and filezilla are all that I have to work with at this point though.

I've been considering getting an IDE to help with things such as auto-indenting code, etc..., but I'm not really sure which one will work best for PHP. Any suggestions?

As far as I've read, since PHP is a scripting language... and doesn't need compiling from the editor. So really you just need your text editor to do all the work. And for PHP, your server. But Netbeans also includes support for PHP, and is what I use for Java.
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
Yeah, what I'm currently using is n++ and filezilla, and of course my server. The main thing n++ lacks is an easy way to auo-indent text. I keep forgetting to indent when I write code, and it shows when people read my code.

(June 29th, 2013 at 5:20 PM)Darth-Apple link Wrote: Yeah, what I'm currently using is n++ and filezilla, and of course my server. The main thing n++ lacks is an easy way to auo-indent text. I keep forgetting to indent when I write code, and it shows when people read my code.
To be honest, I don't think there are many IDE's that auto indent your code. I think that would be rather complex to code, and as far as I know, Netbeans doesn't do it either (I don't actually forget to indent my code, surprisingly)

Back when I programmed C++, there was a command line tool that would do it for you. I guess that was the kind of thing I was looking for, but if it's not there, it's time to change my coding habits instead. Tongue

(June 29th, 2013 at 5:29 PM)Darth-Apple link Wrote: Back when I programmed C++, there was a command line tool that would do it for you. I guess that was the kind of thing I was looking for, but if it's not there, it's time to change my coding habits instead. Tongue
Heh, I haven't used netbeans that much though. Maybe it does have that option, just haven't noticed it.

Notepad++ actually does have it as well, but it apparently doesn't work with PHP.

There may be plugins to do it. Look for one.

I think I did at one point, and I'm not sure why I never found something. I'll probably look again tomorrow and see.

I try to ident my code when coding in HTML, but the default MyBB editors are horrible because they're browser based. So when you try to press tab, it leaves the editor. You have to use the spacebar. Annoying...  :Smile
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
It's useful for small edits I suppose. Sometimes I'll just copy/paste the text into notepad++ if I intend on doing a lot of editing though. Notepad++ is one great program.

I tend to forget I can do that...
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
I've accidentally done editing in notepad before, and for whatever reason notepad puts headers or something in the files that keeps them from being executed properly by a PHP interpreter. That's always annoying.

(June 30th, 2013 at 4:58 PM)Darth-Apple link Wrote: I've accidentally done editing in notepad before, and for whatever reason notepad puts headers or something in the files that keeps them from being executed properly by a PHP interpreter. That's always annoying.
Notepad man, without those extra pluses, what a bland text editor Tongue

Honestly microsoft could have done a better job. Tongue

(June 30th, 2013 at 5:01 PM)Darth-Apple link Wrote: Honestly microsoft could have done a better job. Tongue
I think its only meant for a makeshift text editor though. Until you get a better one. Like I only use IE to download another browser Tongue

gedit is a great text editor for Linux, that was always my go-to when I used Linux.

New editions of Visual Studio Community are really good. It auto-indents as well.
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
I like gedit, but I like to use it in conjunction with notepad ++ (cross platform for the win!), and occasionally nano.

VI and Emacs are of course the classics though

I like using notepad ++ especially when I'm editing HTML on my website since it color codes stuff and highlights what one thing might be linked to.

so like if I go <dev> then the </dev> will be highlighted to the one that's whatever number on the list.

makes it easy to find troubleshoot when a page goes wonky because I forgot something or didn't sort the page correct.

Debugging man Tongue

that being said, Gedit has a lot of really nice plugins to supplement stuff, including special code checking stuff for several languages, including HTML.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]