Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

the last expansion slot

so my desktop's expansion slots are filled from top to bottom except for one.

it's a PCI expansion slot and I'm not exactly sure what to put there?

[Image: lZWXXQO.png]

I was kinda leaning towards an IDE/Floppy Controller card but I've also thought about putting an old soundblaster card with FM synthesis there.
still I'm curious if anyone has a better idea.

any thoughts or ideas on something cool to add there?
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Wireless card
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
Already have one lol, see that red card? It's an Asus pci-e wifi ac card
so I finally filled it with something.

a fire wire card I picked up... but that's only temporary until I find a better card to put there...

as of this moment my desktop has every single expansion slot filled... so much IO... lol.

[Image: FGzlmVH.jpg]

from top down in order

dual Serial ports

ASUS wireless AC PCI-E expansion card.

PCI-E - AVerMedia C027 Analog/Digital capture card

PCI-E - Serial/Parallel port expansion card (supports all parallel port communication types)

PCI - random 3 port fire wire expansion card. (temporary until I can find something better)

PCI-E X16 - EVGA Geforce GTX1060 Graphics card.

this after I picked up a new case for $40, it's a nice antec case with way more room.

[Image: P998npj.jpg]

as I'm writing this I'm also waiting on a windows XP computer I built from spare parts that came with that antec case to finish installing windows XP... it's going to be a nice machine for playing the games my modern/main PC can't... this is probably going to be fun lol.  Big Grin
That has to be the most packed PC I think I've seen yet... I know with some of my old desktops, that was always my worst nightmare. Some of them didn't come with working ethernet on board, so I had to add an ethernet card just for internet. One needed an IDE controller for some reason or another. I believe the ports onboard were slow and acted funny during bootup with more than one drive. It was a mess... Finna

Nice setup, thanks for sharing. Smile

heh I may just start posting more pc's I've been building here since I've just finished an XP machine build.

in fact most recently I upgraded it's gpu from a geforce 7950 to a geforce gtx580.

that one still supports windows XP but should play any game that my modern desktop can't due to age and incompatibility

it's kinda awesome.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fpga expansion cards as an emulator replacements SpookyZalost 2 2,258 July 16th, 2020 at 12:47 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Last time you used a VHS player Darth-Apple 10 13,450 June 4th, 2017 at 3:10 AM
Last Post: Guardian