Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Your opinion on mainstream pop

So, I've seen more and more music videos with 200+ million views pop up on my youtube recommendations. I like some of the songs that are out there, but to be honest, they all feel a bit too mainstream to me. I mean, I feel like (generally speaking) every massively popular artist out there right now either writes about beer or something along that lines, or about something love related. Considering I work at a restaurant where popular music is playing constantly throughout every single shift, I think I've had my fill of it. I prefer to listen to and to support less popular indie artists these days. I'm somewhat inspired by a lot of them to some degree.

What is your opinion on pop music? Are their any particular artists that you enjoy listening to?

I agree Smile many pop artists today are just looking to create a song that will soar with teenagers (whom are most of the people that buy these songs). The song(s) mainly consists of sexual content and whatnot.
As someone who used to be completely against mainstream pop, it's really not that bad tbh. Camilla Cabelo, Lorde, Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift, etc. are pretty good. Then there's more "indie pop" like Carly Rae Jepsen. She's one of my favorites!
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
I used to hate it, but I've softened my opinion on it over the years. I'm not saying I think it's good - but, most of them are just generic pieces of music that feel like they came off an assembly line, and aren't worth getting worked up about either way.

Hip-hop, on the other hand...
[Image: pkmb0Gv.png]

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
(June 5th, 2020 at 10:28 PM)Kyng Wrote: I used to hate it, but I've softened my opinion on it over the years. I'm not saying I think it's good - but, most of them are just generic pieces of music that feel like they came off an assembly line, and aren't worth getting worked up about either way.

Hip-hop, on the other hand...

Same, but I think it's because pop has gotten better than it was. Artists like my girl Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jepsen, Lana del Rey, etc, have all made pop waaay more tolerable than it was late 00s, early to mid 10s.
Much agree @Thomas. They have enough personality to their music that its still distinguished and genuine in a way. I don't mind it at all coming from some of the better mainstream pop artists.

I mean, it's not even so much the style itself, but the attitude of "here, we gotta make this sell, do whatever it takes to make it sell." Cake sort of started the monotone "talking in the vocals" trend, but their songs had deep meaning back in the 90s. Now the music from that genre just feels more hollow at times.

Forgot to mention Billie Eilish, Lorde, Grimes, all doing interesting stuff
(June 18th, 2020 at 11:42 AM)Thomas Wrote: Forgot to mention Billie Eilish

Hesitant to admit, but she does have some catchy stuff.
There is some good mainstream pop but I have to search for the good stuff out of countless bad pop music.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Male Rock/Pop Singers Darth-Apple 7 13,549 November 10th, 2014 at 5:59 PM
Last Post: Clayton