Poll: How often do you use facebook?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Frequently
28.57%
2 28.57%
Sometimes
14.29%
1 14.29%
Rarely
14.29%
1 14.29%
Never
42.86%
3 42.86%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Do you use facebook?

Personally, I guess I "use" facebook a lot, but I rarely ever post anything on it. How often do you use facebook?

Be sure to vote in the poll!

I used to use it, but now I just go on there once every month
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
I used to use it a lot more, and realized there was more to life than Facebook. I think it has become a way to keep in contact with people more than anything lately. It's not what it was, despite becoming "more popular".

I never really write anything on Facebook usually, but I check it daily.

I use Facebook to chat with friends and see what others are writing.
(August 2nd, 2013 at 1:45 PM)wasi90lk Wrote: I never really write anything on Facebook usually, but I check it daily.

I use Facebook to chat with friends and see what others are writing.

Same here. I read my news feed quite frequently, but I rarely post very much.

What do I use Facebook the most?

I use Facebook mostly to:
Receive news feeds from various sources,
To track cultural activities near me,
To receive some interesting, intriguing, or just beautiful videos,
Share some interesting, intriguing, or just beautiful videos with friends,
To remind me of friends and family birthdays.
To share personal photos with friends,
What do I use most often on Facebook? Not at all, because I don't have an account  Blush

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
I did the Delete Account thing about 20 days ago. I have 10 days left to log in and it's kind of agonizing but I'm not going to do it. I downloaded all my data before I hit Delete so I've still got everything.
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
Facebook is a war zone right now. I had to make a new account because someone tried doxxing me for bringing awareness to childhood hunger in Africa.

That was apparently so offensive to somebody that they felt it was worthy of me having my personal info spilled to strangers online. That was not a fun thing to have to deal with. Huh

yep, you read that right. They flew off the handle because I brought up the grave conditions in third world countries and advocated for awareness.

So yea. I got off. Not worth it. Finna

@Thomas - are you doing the program where they pay you to temporarily deactivate?

Facebook is currently a war zone. Not right now, it was always a conflict! Imagine, everyone only writes what the other would like to hear .. great weather, and nothing to think about, then FB would be dead for a long time. and that's why I deleted my account years ago, no data from me, no Instagram, no Whatsapp, we only have Threema Messenger and that's it :-), no information about when I'm going to eat, when I'm on vacation, when I'm at the toilet , my private life, at home I also have my front door closed and not an open door that everyone can in and out of. What I write in forums is a platform that I choose and on which I can still see who is the boss, who does what, not like zuckerberg ... mafia

Yep. That’s it exactly. They can access pretty much everything, and in the end, the user is the product. Not the website, but the user. They profit literally through ads that are so targeted that it’s honestly creepy.

With smaller websites, they aren’t in existence to try to please the stock market. So there’s that. Finna

(December 10th, 2020 at 7:14 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: @Thomas - are you doing the program where they pay you to temporarily deactivate?

I'm not familiar with such a program... but no I deleted.
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
(December 10th, 2020 at 7:14 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Facebook is a war zone right now. I had to make a new account because someone tried doxxing me for bringing awareness to childhood hunger in Africa.

That was apparently so offensive to somebody that they felt it was worthy of me having my personal info spilled to strangers online. That was not a fun thing to have to deal with.  Huh

yep, you read that right. They flew off the handle because I brought up the grave conditions in third world countries and advocated for awareness.

@Thomas - are you doing the program where they pay you to temporarily deactivate?

Wow, really?! I knew it was bad, but I had no idea it was that toxic >_< .

You have my sympathies, of course.
[Image: pkmb0Gv.png]

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
(December 10th, 2020 at 7:14 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Facebook is a war zone right now. I had to make a new account because someone tried doxxing me for bringing awareness to childhood hunger in Africa.

That was apparently so offensive to somebody that they felt it was worthy of me having my personal info spilled to strangers online. That was not a fun thing to have to deal with.  Huh

See this is exactly why I don't want anything to do with social media.

it's boring, dull, is full of stuff that is more shallow then the popular kids end of the gene pool, and doesn't make sense.

I'm going to stick with more important stuff, like trying to convince Elon to build a dyson cloud by mining the planet mercury, or trying to find a good training regimin for mars.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Yep. And I'm totally serious too, that actually happened. And it was just mob mentality as usual. One person did it, and everyone else just started joining in.

And what's even worse was their rationalle behind it. They were literally offended that I brought up hunger in africa, because apparently that "insinuated that I was making light of American hunger" - which was of course absurd. (And trying to explain that to them was like trying to tell a preschooler that the sky is blue. They wouldn't listen, but they were more than happy to put words in my mouth anyway. Dodgy Confused ). 

This is the way people think nowadays. We are the most educated we have ever been, as the human race, and yet we resort to this. And stories like this are unfortunately not rare these days.

@Darth-Apple  great your reference to the emergency in Africa, but unfortunately every year the reference to help for Africa but everyone always asks the same questions: To whom should I donate? Does my money really get to those in need?
And who is trustworthy in this huge auxiliary machine that has been trying to get Africa back on its feet for decades, apparently in vain?
All of these questions are more than justified.
But the problem is much more complex.

In all the years since the Ethiopian famine in 1984, the industrialized countries have still not found a viable way to achieve something in the long term. There is not necessarily a lack of money, there was almost always plenty of it. "We've spent $ 600 billion on aid in Africa over the past 45 years, and after all that, kids still can't get twelve cents of malaria medicine," writes William Easterly, economics professor at the University of New York , in a comment. New form of colonization? A farmer walks through his field in Asagir, Ethiopia. Alemneh Abera is the first in the region to try terrace construction.

The aid organization "Menschen für Menschen", run by the actor Karlheinz Böhm, provided the necessary start-up help.

What is missing is quite simply the right approach.

One of the reasons for failure is cultural-historical. "Many of us believe that humanitarian aid is a morally pure way of responding to the suffering in the world," writes the renowned British journalist Peter Gill, who has dealt with developing countries for most of his career. "But what if all of our good intentions are nothing more than a newer version of colonization?"

Most organizations in Africa actually have a "we know everything better" mentality in Africa, as David Rieff of the New York Times confirms: "By definition, help is when outsiders tell people in a place how they have to do things while threatening to withdraw their aid if people do not act accordingly. " You don't make friends with it. Fighting causes instead of symptoms Aid project in the Congo: Young Congolese women work on sewing machines in a slum of Kinshasa.

Another problem is the extensive ignorance of Western helpers when it comes to the complex African traditions and forms of society. While food is busily being distributed, most places have missed out on teaching people about birth control.
Almost everywhere in Africa, population growth has exploded in the last few decades and there is no end in sight. And so the auxiliary machinery has to supply more and more people living in extreme poverty and thus combats the symptoms, but not one of the causes of the misery. Then there are the numerous scandals that are shaking the world of aid organizations. Again and again it is said that most of the money flows into completely wrong channels and supports civil wars, rebels or dictators. In Sierra Leone, peacekeepers and helpers are said to have offered young girls "Aid for Sex". Up until 2007, a French organization offered alleged orphans from Chad and Sudan for adoption, even though they did have a father and mother. The Unicef scandal about excessive commission payments to private donation collectors and opaque financial conduct in general, which caused a sensation in Germany in 2008, has not been forgotten.
The donation seal was then withdrawn from the German section of the UN Children's Fund.

Unfortunately, this is the truth, and simply donating to calm your conscience is bad, in my opinion donating is the wrong way, education and active help would be the order of the day. The most important thing would be a birth control, because unfortunately the numbers speak for themselves, child production is the top priority there, and as long as there is no reduction, the continent will forever be like today or worse

I hope you can follow my bad English

Thank you lg Tc4me

(December 12th, 2020 at 10:00 AM)tc4me Wrote: One of the reasons for failure is cultural-historical. "Many of us believe that humanitarian aid is a morally pure way of responding to the suffering in the world," writes the renowned British journalist Peter Gill, who has dealt with developing countries for most of his career. "But what if all of our good intentions are nothing more than a newer version of colonization?"

Most organizations in Africa actually have a "we know everything better" mentality in Africa, as David Rieff of the New York Times confirms: "By definition, help is when outsiders tell people in a place how they have to do things while threatening to withdraw their aid if people do not act accordingly. " You don't make friends with it. Fighting causes instead of symptoms Aid project in the Congo: Young Congolese women work on sewing machines in a slum of Kinshasa.

This video goes into some of the issues, self-inflicted by African governments, and then exacerbated by good intentions of Westerners donating stuff to Africans, ultimately holding their economy back and not allowing people to build a decent living:
@Guardian  Thank you, 
Thank you, that's exactly the problem. As always and everywhere it is about power, even more power and how can I suppress groups in the easiest way in order to continue to get their profitable goods (gold, diamonds, oil, etc.) cheapest. I believe that only a minimal part of the West is really interested in building third countries