Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Locked myself out of a server for the first time.

Mind you, this is for a sizeable company that needs multiple servers for their website. Chmodded SSH to 777 to upload a couple keys for server synchronization, and my computer crashed before I could change it back. If .ssh has the wrong permissions, it refuses all connections. Whoops... 

And well, I spent all of last night completely redoing multiple servers for this website from scratch. Was a noobie mistake for sure. 

I suppose they say you're not truly an experienced server administrator until you've done this at least once. Glad I never made this mistake with MS. Tongue

Ouch! That's rough!

We implemented a script once that deleted all accounts inactive for 90 days... well, turns out a typo set it for less than 90 days and deleted all accounts that had been used in the last 90 days. That was a fun one.
Oops, I don't think I have messed with enough linux servers to have done something like this myself. I have accidentally deleted an entire Windows Server worth a of users just from deleting a GPO...that was Microsoft magic lol

Luckily it had a recycle bin to restore the users from.
(February 6th, 2019 at 6:51 PM)Daniel Wrote: I have accidentally deleted an entire Windows Server worth a of users just from deleting a GPO...that was Microsoft magic lol

I've seen this happen at work. A whole site can't login. Turns out some night-shift guy deleted an entire OU.  Tongue That was a fun day.
I'm always glad for the Recycling Bin! Haha... I have very little experience with Windows servers unfortunately, but I think we've all made a huge mistake of some sort at some time or another. Glad you were able to get it all sorted out!

Also, welcome to the forums Smile