Welcome, guest! We are a creative arts/general discussion community, and welcome guests and members alike to participate in our discussions. While registration is not required to post, we strongly recommend considering an account with us, as it a quick, free, and easy way to fully utilize all of the features on our forum. We hope you enjoy your stay!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The United Cities of Talaran
Thanks Brian and Guardian for your comments!

@Guardian: before answering your interesting question I need to understand properly what you mean by "those stations both (...)" - are you referring to the two 'subway squares' that end the subway tunnels on the lower left quarter of the last picture in my previous post?
Thanks given by:
(November 21st, 2018 at 7:44 AM)pierreh Wrote: @Guardian: before answering your interesting question I need to understand properly what you mean by "those stations both (...)" - are you referring to the two 'subway squares' that end the subway tunnels on the lower left quarter of the last picture in my previous post?

Those would be the ones. I guess they're more transitions than anything?  Confused
Thanks given by:
Yes indeed, they are transitions, between the subway on one side and the GLR on the other side. The subway square, which is placed on the center tile of the transition, is where the subway tunnel is connected on the subway side.
In that sense, these transitions switch subway traffic to GLR traffic, and vice-versa, without any loss or gain. They do not constitute any bottleneck, their limitation is that of the subway tunnels, which can carry a maximum of 65535 subway users.
So they are not 'stations'; a typical subway station has one or more staircases, that represent the ability to switch between pedestrian traffic and subway traffic. RTMT also includes more complex stations such as, for example, combined subway+bus stations, where there is also switching between bus traffic and subway traffic, etc.
Thanks given by:
Ah, makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification!

I really misunderstood that at first. My bottleneck comments make no sense now. Tongue
Thanks given by:
I have been quite inactive lately, because of some family-related issues, which will continue to keep me busy until the end of February.

Still, I have found a few opportunities to play the game, and for a diversion to the Talaran 9-cities cluster, I have returned to an older 6-cities cluster. That cluster was called 'Sambey', since that was the name chosen for the entire region. Actually the Talaran cluster is also in that region. Because of this, and also as I don't want to start yet another CJ, I'll document here what I have started doing on the 6-cities Sambey cluster.

In the Sambey cluster I wanted to see the interaction between 'specialized' cities. About at the time when I stopped playing with that cluster, in late 2014 (!), it looked like this:

[Image: kTR7OZ.jpg]

The cluster was composed of:
- 4 residential cities: Deliambert, Treymont, Aveillans and Jonolray
- 1 commercial city: Lessy
- 1 industrial city: Parnal

Because Sims in the residential cities had to go 'elsewhere' to find jobs, this entailed inter-city flows, which are shown in the next picture:
[Image: Nl8MlA.jpg]
Quite soon those flows became difficult to manage: highways, railways and subways linking the cities reached saturation, were doubled, trebled, with little effect. As it was not possible to overcome the game's limitations, I left the cluster aside, and went on to develop Talaran with 'normal' cities (and yet considerable inter-city flows, as documented earlier in this CJ).

Lately I have returned to that old Arcens cluster. What I am doing is to 'normalize' its cities, by adding commercial zones to the 4 residential cities, and residential zones in the commercial city of Lessy. For the time being I am not doing anything with the industrial city of Parnal. I am also reviewing the highway interchanges and access ramps, taking advantage of some of the RHW features. This seems to be going fairly well.

I'll be documenting (slowly) the progress of that effort, in parallel with the further development of the Talaran cluster.
Thanks given by: Guardian
Pierre,

This was an interesting post for me..

Because I played regionally in sc4 in a  similar fashion . Using specialized "job" cities .. for the most part..like you have..
Although I would often later include at least some kinda small residential populations even in these "job " cities..

Most of the job were "filled" by Sims who commuted from other cities,,

Part of the reason , that I like to do this was to than be able to make the near by residential cities a larger population for the lands I had to build upon.

Also o sometimes like to go back and work on "older" cities i have not worked on for quite some time Smile

And yes, thanks..
I did wonder if this was all from the "same" region.
But I have a request for you :

I was wondering if in your next posting, you could give us a new update on what our current region population is currently ?
Sports fanatic
Thanks given by: Guardian
Thanks for your interesting comments, Brian.

Population statistics are easy to produce, because I keep a small Excel table about them. Here it is, with the tallies for the Sambey and Talaran clusters, and the total for the region:

[Image: xqUrwv.jpg]

Currently the largest city, in terms of population, is Prandergal with 1'188'115 Sims.

It is interesting that you mention that you have been playing with 'specialized cities'. I don't know whether you remember my postings about the Sambey cluster, at the time my CJ was hosted on Simmania. I encountered tremedous saturation problems with the inter-city traffic. Actually those problems are still present. I'll be documenting a few of them in later posts. Did you ever experience serious saturation problems with the inter-city traffic in your specialized cities?
Thanks given by:
Quote:Did you ever experience serious saturation problems with the inter-city traffic in your specialized cities?

Yes,

and I think that was part of the reason i gravitated away from regional play, really..

But i will be looking forward to your future postings on 

your Sambey cluster
Sports fanatic
Thanks given by: