Welcome, guest! We are a creative arts/general discussion community, and welcome guests and members alike to participate in our discussions. While registration is not required to post, we strongly recommend considering an account with us, as it a quick, free, and easy way to fully utilize all of the features on our forum. We hope you enjoy your stay!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The United Cities of Talaran
Well, your latest comments about underground rail. Brian, convince me that its use is rather limited, and that it cannot really help much for intercity traffic.

Speaking of which... here is more about the Marlande-Desognes intercity traffic, where we saw in my previous post that the single subway link was saturated. A second link was implemented and put to use by running the cities. Here is the view of that new link from the Desognes side:

[Image: pS0Imr.jpg]

... and the surprise there - at least for me - is that the link is used for outgoing traffic! Sims residing in Desognes are going out, either to Marlande, or even to Arcens and further, to find work. I followed back to the origin of that outgoing flow: it comes from residences on the opposite side of the city! (Sims can't find work in their city of residence, and have to 'migrate' to other cities? Questionnable...)

Then I looked at the 'old' subway link, that had shown saturation on the Marlande side:

[Image: WbZ4vq.jpg]

It is not, or no longer, saturated, although it remains close to the 64K limit. And there again, the flow is outgoing!

However, I only ran each of the 2 cities involved in this traffic for a few game months. It is a known fact that it can take a much longer time (a few game years at least) for the traffic simulator to adjust, stabilize and produce properly balanced flows and figures. Therefore I'll let some game time pass, before taking new measurements. Meanwhile I'll look at other issues in the global cluster.

EDIT, a while later

I ran Desognes for some more months. The 2 pictures above have to be discounted, they don't show the whole picture. Traffic on the subway links goes in both directions. I'll report about this later.
Thanks given by: Darth-Apple
it's interesting you say that about underground rail, is that just a game limitation?

a couple real life examples that worked well for their time include the NYC Transit system which was originally an underground steam railway before becoming a subway system.
and the london underground.

it is true that a lot of places moved to electric tram/GLR/Subway type systems but I've always thought the idea of using full sized trains underground was kind of neat despite the obvious space issues.

so is that just a mod limitation, a game limitation, or is UGR just not very useful in dense urban landscapes?

looking at all this is making me want to maybe give SC4 another go... but I'm still waiting for flying cars Tongue
[Image: oEirbE7.png]
Thanks given by: Darth-Apple
(August 12th, 2018 at 10:57 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: it's interesting you say that about underground rail, is that just a game limitation?

I think its the game. I never had much success getting it to work as intended to help reduce congestion when I made the efforts many times years ago.
Thanks given by:
(I was going to comment on Spooky's latest post, but the quote option doesn't seem to work for me, or I don't understand how it should be used. I postpone my comments).

In the edit part of my latest post I mentioned that the pictires shown didn't reflect the proper situation in Desognes. Actually, on hindsight, I should simply have removed that post. Since it is still there, here are better pictures.

The positioning of the 2 intercity subway links between Desognes and Marlande, seen in Desognes, is as follows:

[Image: mIkOcO.jpg]

1 is the older link, 2 is the more recent link. It can be seen that the old link arrives 'outside' of the current commercial zone and connects to the rest of the subway/GLR network at an extremity of that zone. The new link is better positioned, connecting more directly with the center of the commercial zone.

Traffic on the old link has been decreased and the link is no longer saturated. The link is used in both directions, but the bulk of the usage is Sims coming from Marlande to go work in various commercial buildings; buses are used in some cases to complete the commute. Usage in the other direction is very minimal.

[Image: FZUPU8.jpg]

Traffic on the new link is still relatively low and has potential for growth. Similarily to the older link, the new link is used mainly by Sims coming from Marlande to work in the commercial area of Desognes, whereas traffic moving in the other direction is very low:

[Image: ZnMeBx.jpg]

The intercity subway connections in this case are now considered as under control and I'll turn my attention to other cities in the cluster.
Thanks given by:
Quote:I think its the game. I never had much success getting it to work as intended to help reduce congestion when I made the efforts many times years ago.

See now I have had the opposite experience with using U - rail Smile
maybe one of these days I will have to put together a CJ post on this to document what i was able to do Smile

And now on to Pierre's postings -

Yes this was a very nice post...
I am very glad that this has worked out so well for you. Because I think as some people know traffic situations can be quite complicated and so when something like this does work as intended , its to be appreciated Smile
Sports fanatic
Thanks given by: Guardian
(August 14th, 2018 at 5:38 PM)brian51 Wrote: See now I have had the opposite experience with using U - rail Smile
maybe one of these days I will have to put together a CJ post on this to document what i was able to do Smile

I'd be curious to see what you did and how you went about it. Always love traffic improvements. 

@Pierreh: How many stops do you normally make on a subway line? I always think real world implementation and understand outside of the games most subways don't actually have many stops per line. In-game I always seem to overdo it.
Thanks given by:
@Guardian: The number of stops on a subway line depends on the length of the line. It is therefore more meaningful, I think, to look at it in terms of average distance between the stations. Clearly in the game, or at least in my cities, subway stations are closer to each other than in real life cities (*). It will probably be useful to show some examples of my CBDs with their subway implementations. I will not go into a 'subway rant' like I did in my previous CJ on Simmania, but I'll mention some of the shortcomings of the subway implementation in SC4. This will be done shortly.

(*) In RL cities it also depends on the density of the city. For example, in intra-muros Paris, that is a very dense city, the subway network was laid out in such a way that - with a few exceptions - no point in the city is more than 500 meters (about 1500 feet) away from a subway station. In more modern subway networks the distance between the stations tends to be longer than in older implementations.

@Brian: I am also interested in your underground railway implementation, so if you can put something together about that it will be welcomed.
Thanks given by: