Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

As yet unnamed forum project.

So, with the impending doom of ZetaBoards,  I had the itch to build my own forum software, as an exercise to test some ideas I had on database design/coding conventions

I'm using the Yii framework, and adding bits and pieces as I go along.

I've almost completed the backend (I call it the backstage heh), and will be working on the frontend as soon as I get some ideas on how it should look like.

Attached is a screenshot of the administration area.

The sharp-eyed among you will notice that it looks suspiciously like ZB 2.0. I borrowed their colours :p

Any thoughts?

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks good from the little ss posted. Excited to see the front end come together and see what features you have to offer.
[Image: forumonic-bar.png]...............[Image: xige-logo-png-blue-sml.png]
Latest snapshots: Postbit Design - Multi Login Modal (1) - Responsive Pollbar
Interested to see how it goes for you. I do know that its a massive undertaking and many give up over time.

Do you have what it takes to stick with it?

I do wish you luck though!
(July 16th, 2018 at 1:22 PM)Harry K. Wrote: Looks good from the little ss posted. Excited to see the front end come together and see what features you have to offer.

For a start it'll just be a basic forum with the usual features, maybe over time I can improve it further as my skills increase Big Grin

(July 16th, 2018 at 9:06 PM)Guardian Wrote: Interested to see how it goes for you. I do know that its a massive undertaking and many give up over time.

Do you have what it takes to stick with it?

I do wish you luck though!

Thanks! That's the thing with having a programming itch, you start out with full motivation, then it peters out heh. I hope to at least get a demo and something usable up soon!
(July 17th, 2018 at 12:05 AM)capnsquarepants Wrote: Thanks! That's the thing with having a programming itch, you start out with full motivation, then it peters out heh. I hope to at least get a demo and something usable up soon!

You'll definitely have to share it when you get there!

I'd love to see it. Cool
Things happen when you are bored at work. Big Grin

This is all a work in progress, and I am slowly adding stuff in, so, yeah. I can probably have something up and running by the end of the week (yay)

I also noticed a template bug, attached images have an extra bit of markup showing up.

Very nice! I like the theming work you've done on it already. It looks fantastic. We've had a few people here come up with some fairly extensive coding projects in the past around here. Yours looks better than most.

And yes, there is a bit of a markup bug in our templates. It's on the radar for us to fix. There are a few things we haven't quite gotten around to yet. Finna

But alas, thank you for sharing, and welcome to the forums! Also, check out this thread in case you're interested in something we have set up for quick and easy image hosting. Big Grin

Looks great! I'd suggest slightly changing one of the blue colors, it's very hard to see things like the breadcrumb. Is the number to the left the amount of new posts, or total posts in that forum? Cool idea, I haven't seen anyone do that before.

If you're wanting to actually release this someday, please please please do not use tables as your main content structure. A default responsive theme isn't necessary but building the forum on tables makes it extremely difficult and time consuming for designers to remove them. Even if it means using something like bootstrap to get the main content structure. This doesn't mean you can't use tables in the correct places.

Great works so far, surprised to see so much progress. Big Grin Good luck!
(July 18th, 2018 at 7:07 PM)Harry K. Wrote: Looks great! I'd suggest slightly changing one of the blue colors, it's very hard to see things like the breadcrumb. Is the number to the left the amount of new posts, or total posts in that forum? Cool idea, I haven't seen anyone do that before.

If you're wanting to actually release this someday, please please please do not use tables as your main content structure. A default responsive theme isn't necessary but building the forum on tables makes it extremely difficult and time consuming for designers to remove them. Even if it means using something like bootstrap to get the main content structure. This doesn't mean you can't use tables in the correct places.

Great works so far, surprised to see so much progress. Big Grin Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I actually agree with your suggestion to change one of the blues. I'll probably change the breadcrumb background to white for consistency.

The number on the left is the number of total posts, and I'm making it so that if there are new posts, it will be red, and another colour if there are no new posts.

I'm going to use tables for display because it's what the cool kids do.

Not really :p. I'm already using divs, although I don't do mobile first. I make sure everything works on a desktop and then make it responsive. Tables will probably be used when needed in posts.

Edit: Bootstrap? Noooooooo.
Haha, only use a framework if you have too bro. Tongue

Good to hear your not going to use tables, and the stats thing sounds cool. Good luck man.