Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for some Feedback - Colore MyBB Theme

If this is in the wrong section, could you please move this thread. Thanks.

Heyllo Guys & Gals. I'm looking for some opinions. I like getting as many opinions on my themes during development as I can, I believe this helps to produce a nicer, cleaner theme all round. Sometimes when you're so plugged in it's easy to miss things and or over-look something so simple, things that may look right to you, may be completely off when you go back to it.

Anyway so the purpose of this thread is for me asking for feedback on screenshots of my in development responsive MyBB theme named Colore. This isn't a showcase thread. Please save comments like, "wow, looks great" for completion, please please rip this theme to shreds. Big Grin I can take negative criticism I promise.  Shy You may have already seen some snapshots on either IcyBoards, or my own site. There is also a small one in my sig here.

Right so, here goes. First things first. Here's a feel of the theme in it's current form. Desktop 1440px - Mobile 425px

Currently, I'm requesting feedback concerning subforums. As you can see forums are separated into 50/50 columns, this carrys over onto subforums currently. Take a look here: Threadlist, containing 2 subforums.

Now the problem is when a forum has an odd number of subforums, it will leave a 50% space see here. I am wanting to avoid the option of stretching the forums to full width.

I have 2 options:
- leave as is. Having an odd number of forums will just show a space. Doesn't look too bad.
- Move subforums into the sidebar at full width. This will make the subforums slightly smaller, and move the filters down the page, however content up.

Many thanks for any contributions! Big Grin
[Image: forumonic-bar.png]...............[Image: xige-logo-png-blue-sml.png]
Latest snapshots: Postbit Design - Multi Login Modal (1) - Responsive Pollbar
wow, looks great

IMO an empty space smack in the middle looks kinda bad. Definitely go with the other alternative. It looks so much cozier and more streamlined.
I hope you'll give us some more color on the footer region. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I also kinda wanna know what you plan to do with that slide-in menu you have on the upper left corner.

Definitely one of the most promising material design themes out there. I look forward to using the finished product.

I agree the footer needs some colour work.

Other than that, the alternative looks better... but I think you need to do something so that they 'stand out' as subforums more because I feel like some end users might not notice that they are there.

Looks excellent overall though Smile
[Image: sig1.png]
(June 3rd, 2018 at 1:37 PM)Electric2Shock Wrote: wow, looks great

IMO an empty space smack in the middle looks kinda bad. Definitely go with the other alternative. It looks so much cozier and more streamlined.
I hope you'll give us some more color on the footer region. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I also kinda wanna know what you plan to do with that slide-in menu you have on the upper left corner.

Definitely one of the most promising material design themes out there. I look forward to using the finished product.
(June 3rd, 2018 at 2:05 PM)Martin Wrote: I agree the footer needs some colour work.
Other than that, the alternative looks better... but I think you need to do something so that they 'stand out' as subforums more because I feel like some end users might not notice that they are there.
Looks excellent overall though Smile

Thank you guys so much for the feedback, seems like your both in the same sorta spot as me. I'll see what I can do to make them stand out a little more. The footer has been completely untouched apart from the few links I added, still waiting for that idea to pop. Wink
@E2S: See here, covers hamburger menu, user menu and activity feed. terrible quality but it shows it. Tongue
I agree with E2S and Martin. Go with the 2nd option. That empty space in the middle is... I can't stand it.

(June 3rd, 2018 at 2:05 PM)Martin Wrote: but I think you need to do something so that they 'stand out' as subforums more because I feel like some end users might not notice that they are there.

I did think it looked cleaner, but this makes a lot of sense, especially for some of the users less inclined to change or things outside the norm. I like it, and I get it, but others may not.
Thanks for the feedback guys, had a little play. What do you guys think to this?
https://i.imgur.com/Rb8SU63.mp4
(June 3rd, 2018 at 4:00 PM)Harry K. Wrote: Thanks for the feedback guys, had a little play. What do you guys think to this?
Much better, the idea of just giving it a heading was basically what I was thinking. Great work!  Cool
[Image: sig1.png]
(June 3rd, 2018 at 4:00 PM)Harry K. Wrote: Thanks for the feedback guys, had a little play. What do you guys think to this?

I love it!

Still might confuse some people, but those people can't be helped. It is much better, and I love the show/hide functionality.
Thanks guys! Still looking for others opinions if anyone wants to chip in! Smile
Proud to let you guys know that the jQuery sidebar options shown in my previous post now have cookie support! Big Grin Choose your own settings, and it saves logged in or not! Alone with the activity feed on the index. @Guardian feel free to test Wink @others let me know if you would like to "opt-in" to have a play and test it out for me Tongue
VERY NICE! Great customization for the user. Something that's usually not offered with themes. This is revolutionary for MyBB, at least as far as I have seen.

In a class of it's own!
I'd be more than happy to help test when I have a moment. I think it's a really fantastic idea, and am really impressed with the creativity you've had reinventing the wheel a bit.

Cookie support! I'm excited to see what happens now.

Hey guys, what's your thoughts on user select-able colors? I'm thinking of adding a "Theme Settings" section that is powered by cookies. Essentially would be a modal/sidebar overlay that would consist of the following possible options; Link Colors, Button Colors, Width changer, and a "Turn Colore Off" switch, which would essentially change the "Colore" features to black and white(like the stats are now) also possibility of a Dark Mode, however no promises as that would be a lot of work. Tongue
Actually that sounds pretty cool, Darth has something like that for the chatcave and it's always been nice.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
That could be cool, fit into the tastes of everyone. As long as the options are decent. Some of the color switching themes currently on MyBB doesn't have the best selection. Tongue
(June 12th, 2018 at 11:19 PM)Guardian Wrote: That could be cool, fit into the tastes of everyone. As long as the options are decent. Some of the color switching themes currently on MyBB doesn't have the best selection. Tongue

Haha, is that because of them being pre-set colors, and you don't like the colors they have provided? Or, when a color picker is used, it is used in the wrong way?

The vision would be this: (Each element: [...] once clicked would show its own "color picker")

COLORS
[LINK COLOR] - [HOVER COLOR]
[BUTTON COLOR] - [HOVER COLOR]
[LINK COLOR] - [HOVER COLOR]
SETTINGS
[Fluid Width] - [Fixed Width]
[Switch Colore On/Off]
[Dark Mode(would disable color picker)]
[Reset Colore]

So essentially - there could be no "bad" options. Tongue Their would be the default theme colors, then anything else is literally selected by the user down to the #hexCode. If you don't like the colors, change them their would hopefully be no limitations. Tongue

Again this is in no way a guaranteed feature, it is do-able but a lot of work. I may decide to leave this feature out until MyBB 1.9. Adding a feature like this would mean going over a lot of code that is already there which I will have to do when upgrading to 1.9 anyway.
Desktop: https://i.imgur.com/lr1rkZm.png Mobile: https://i.imgur.com/xnFsglE.png

Been playing around with the postbit and quick reply. I've gone for an "integrated" quick reply look. Almost looks like the reply is already posted as you're typing it Tongue Do you guys think it stands out enough? Or does there need to be a more in your face splitter?

Also, as for the sideways pagination, it is inspired by Flarum and their system which I thought worked absolutely perfectly. Done what I can to make it work, let me know what you think, it is in a fixed position and follows you as you scroll.

Other little features shown in this screenshot are:
- Checkbox restyle for the post options, I think this looks really cool. Especially how it integrates really well with the posts.
- Standard floating multi-quote notification.
- Mixed the Search Thread function and Next Oldest/Newest thread into a multi-action button.

Also, I think I am happy with this footer now: https://i.imgur.com/ZPOqqbC.png

Thoughts?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tutorial] Need feedback for my forum Plushy 7 4,580 March 29th, 2020 at 2:12 PM
Last Post: Darth-Apple