Welcome, guest! We are a creative arts/general discussion community, and welcome guests and members alike to participate in our discussions. While registration is not required to post, we strongly recommend considering an account with us, as it a quick, free, and easy way to fully utilize all of the features on our forum. We hope you enjoy your stay!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So... MyBB 2.0 - any word?
@Harry K: Oh wow. Good 'ole bootstrap, always makes its presence known somewhere. Tongue

@Martin: That's a good point actually. MyBB's default theme has always been kinda lacking in a lot of respects. I think it turns a lot of people off who aren't familiar enough with MyBB to be aware of its ability to design better themes, but at the same time, it can be good for the community to have more of a "blank canvas" default theme. (Anyone remember the original XF? Nobody really had the time to undo its very heavy design signature in the default theme so just about every design ever made for it was very obviously a xenforo design. Tongue)

I don't mind MyBB's minimalistic approach for default themes for that primary reason. It's much easier for developers to make it what they want it to be, given that they have the time to invest in it.

Side note: regarding alerts, I hate to sound needy, but... ah. I almost wish they would consider it for 1.9, ONLY for the simple fact that literally just about every plugin and theme that exists currently for MyBB will break. They are going to have to make it worthwhile for people to upgrade, because without a lot of new features to offer... well, there's nothing really stopping communities from just sticking with 1.8 if they already have a responsive theme for it. It wouldn't really make sense. People wouldn't convert to something with minimal support if very little is going to be offered in the new version that isn't available in the old.
[Image: makestation_submatrix31_5.png]
Together, we can make something awesome...
Thanks given by:
(June 5th, 2018 at 9:42 AM)Martin Wrote:
(June 5th, 2018 at 8:46 AM)Harry K. Wrote: I'm a little upset about the 1.9 theme, looks like someone just picked up bootstrap and slapped it on MyBB. Hoping it changes a little. That said does anyone know if they plan on using a CSS framework like bootstrap to handle responsiveness? I hope not. o.o

No idea about using a framework but I can’t find anything about it so I’d guess not. A question from someone with no idea on theming, why does the design of the default matter when basically everyone changes it anyway? Isn’t the important part the templates that are used as a base for responsive themes?

If MyBB include bootstrap in the core, it will be nearly impossible for any designer to remove it without core-edits. This and every theme would be basically the same styling, it can be hard to overwrite some of bootstraps core styling.

Quote:I don't mind MyBB's minimalistic approach for default themes for that primary reason. It's much easier for developers to make it what they want it to be, given that they have the time to invest in it.
[Image: forumonic-bar.png]...............[Image: xige-logo-png-blue-sml.png]
Latest snapshots: Postbit Design - Multi Login Modal (1) - Responsive Pollbar
Thanks given by:
(June 5th, 2018 at 6:41 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: you know... this may seem like heresy but I've been wondering for a while... when is there going to be an HTML 5 based forum software?
something universally compatible with any browser that supports HTML5 and all that entails.

I'm a fan of this, but this would be a whole new headache for developers. Tongue
Thanks given by:
(June 5th, 2018 at 9:16 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 5th, 2018 at 6:41 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: you know... this may seem like heresy but I've been wondering for a while... when is there going to be an HTML 5 based forum software?
something universally compatible with any browser that supports HTML5 and all that entails.

I'm a fan of this, but this would be a whole new headache for developers. Tongue
true... though if forum design could integrate HTML and be done through html it might actually make it easier to implement extensions and such.

anyway that's my 2 cents on the topic lol.

might take forum games to a whole new level what with the capabilities of HTML 5
[Image: oEirbE7.png]
Thanks given by:
(June 6th, 2018 at 10:17 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: might take forum games to a whole new level what with the capabilities of HTML 5

That is definitely true!
Thanks given by:
https://community.mybb.com/thread-218104...pid1306442 Updates from Shade(Most active dev atm) about 1.9. If Shade gets his hands on that 1.9 theme expect something delicious!! He's an absolute god but he never releases a theme. Tongue His speed on them template conversions were amazing, however he also has his subscribers to please and I'm waiting for an update to a plugin. Shy I guess I'm being selfish ha. Finna
Thanks given by:
(June 14th, 2018 at 7:43 PM)Harry K. Wrote: https://community.mybb.com/thread-218104...pid1306442 Updates from Shade(Most active dev atm) about 1.9. If Shade gets his hands on that 1.9 theme expect something delicious!! He's an absolute god but he never releases a theme. Tongue His speed on them template conversions were amazing, however he also has his subscribers to please and I'm waiting for an update to a plugin. Shy I guess I'm being selfish ha. Finna

Love the sound of it!  Cool
Thanks given by:
Shade here. Randomly got into this board, and since I was mentioned, I would like to clarify some points:

1) 2.0 was meant to be a breath of fresh air for MyBB initially, but it turned out too demanding for the current dev team which is lacking both time and people. Therefore, we put it on hold and moved our efforts onto an incremental updates model which we hope will mark little but significant steps ahead towards a more modern MyBB.

2) 1.9 will not break plugins completely. The key points of most MyBB plugins are not templates nor styling; hooks are the critical part instead, and they will not be changed (some of them have been dropped, but they are fairly minor). Therefore, whereas plugins will need to be updated to comply with the new Twig engine, they will require very little edits; furthermore, Twig allows for more customization and should also spell the end of one of the most ugly dev practice in the MyBB universe: that is, search and replace to inject code into templates. Twig is built around an extensible model; it will really step up devs' game to provide even more customization and quality.

3) the new theme is crucial given responsiveness is mandatory in 2018. Justin is a great designer and he has been working hard even without the whole set of templates converted; it's going to be fun now that the conversion is over.

4) our modernizing efforts also include other aspects than the software itself. Even if it seems MyBB development is down to 3-4 people, there is in fact quite a lot of activity going on "under the hood" by staff members who are working harder than you may think to ensure MyBB's evolution towards its brighter path. Kudos to them.
Thanks given by: Harry K. , Darth-Apple , Guardian
Thanks for the update Shade. Interesting to hear plugins wont be completely broken by 1.9. Good news, I were under the impression that it would break almost all.

As for the theme, I have no doubt Justin is absolutely amazing at what he does, and his efforts on the MyBB 1.9 theme are amazing. However I would prefer to pull away from the "bootstrap" look he seems to have gone for although I can see this being more appealing for a lot of end users and in the end it never matters when it gets changed anyway. Big Grin Wouldn't protest letting you get your hands on it though. Tongue

I've been watching the github, and true, development has picked up a lot lately. (and while above replies were posted) As negative as we may sound, we're so greatful for the effort of the MyBB team, and thank you all for your time and expertise into making this possible for us. Smile
Thanks given by:
Thank you for the updates @shade, and welcome to the community! I think I can speak for us all when I say that we are honored to see you here.

Definitely clarifies a lot. I'm glad things are still moving towards 1.9, and thank you for all that you guys do on the MyBB staff. It does not go unnoticed and is greatly appreciated by users (including us here) who have access to a great forum software that is freely available.

I'm curious about the upcoming design, and can't wait to see what's in store!
[Image: makestation_submatrix31_5.png]
Together, we can make something awesome...
Thanks given by:
(June 23rd, 2018 at 4:48 PM)Harry K. Wrote: I've been watching the github, and true, development has picked up a lot lately. (and while above replies were posted) As negative as we may sound, we're so greatful for the effort of the MyBB team, and thank you all for your time and expertise into making this possible for us. Smile

I second this.

(June 23rd, 2018 at 5:20 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Thank you for the updates @shade, and welcome to the community! I think I can speak for us all when I say that we are honored to see you here.

Definitely clarifies a lot. I'm glad things are still moving towards 1.9, and thank you for all that you guys do on the MyBB staff. It does not go unnoticed and is greatly appreciated by users (including us here) who have access to a great forum software that is freely available.

I'm curious about the upcoming design, and can't wait to see what's in store!

I doubly second this.

Thanks Shade! Cool
Thanks given by: