Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

So... MyBB 2.0 - any word?

(June 14th, 2018 at 7:43 PM)Harry K. Wrote: https://community.mybb.com/thread-218104...pid1306442 Updates from Shade(Most active dev atm) about 1.9. If Shade gets his hands on that 1.9 theme expect something delicious!! He's an absolute god but he never releases a theme. Tongue His speed on them template conversions were amazing, however he also has his subscribers to please and I'm waiting for an update to a plugin. Shy I guess I'm being selfish ha. Finna

Love the sound of it!  Cool
Shade here. Randomly got into this board, and since I was mentioned, I would like to clarify some points:

1) 2.0 was meant to be a breath of fresh air for MyBB initially, but it turned out too demanding for the current dev team which is lacking both time and people. Therefore, we put it on hold and moved our efforts onto an incremental updates model which we hope will mark little but significant steps ahead towards a more modern MyBB.

2) 1.9 will not break plugins completely. The key points of most MyBB plugins are not templates nor styling; hooks are the critical part instead, and they will not be changed (some of them have been dropped, but they are fairly minor). Therefore, whereas plugins will need to be updated to comply with the new Twig engine, they will require very little edits; furthermore, Twig allows for more customization and should also spell the end of one of the most ugly dev practice in the MyBB universe: that is, search and replace to inject code into templates. Twig is built around an extensible model; it will really step up devs' game to provide even more customization and quality.

3) the new theme is crucial given responsiveness is mandatory in 2018. Justin is a great designer and he has been working hard even without the whole set of templates converted; it's going to be fun now that the conversion is over.

4) our modernizing efforts also include other aspects than the software itself. Even if it seems MyBB development is down to 3-4 people, there is in fact quite a lot of activity going on "under the hood" by staff members who are working harder than you may think to ensure MyBB's evolution towards its brighter path. Kudos to them.
Thanks for the update Shade. Interesting to hear plugins wont be completely broken by 1.9. Good news, I were under the impression that it would break almost all.

As for the theme, I have no doubt Justin is absolutely amazing at what he does, and his efforts on the MyBB 1.9 theme are amazing. However I would prefer to pull away from the "bootstrap" look he seems to have gone for although I can see this being more appealing for a lot of end users and in the end it never matters when it gets changed anyway. Big Grin Wouldn't protest letting you get your hands on it though. Tongue

I've been watching the github, and true, development has picked up a lot lately. (and while above replies were posted) As negative as we may sound, we're so greatful for the effort of the MyBB team, and thank you all for your time and expertise into making this possible for us. Smile
[Image: forumonic-bar.png]...............[Image: xige-logo-png-blue-sml.png]
Latest snapshots: Postbit Design - Multi Login Modal (1) - Responsive Pollbar
Thank you for the updates @Shade, and welcome to the community! I think I can speak for us all when I say that we are honored to see you here.

Definitely clarifies a lot. I'm glad things are still moving towards 1.9, and thank you for all that you guys do on the MyBB staff. It does not go unnoticed and is greatly appreciated by users (including us here) who have access to a great forum software that is freely available.

I'm curious about the upcoming design, and can't wait to see what's in store!

(June 23rd, 2018 at 4:48 PM)Harry K. Wrote: I've been watching the github, and true, development has picked up a lot lately. (and while above replies were posted) As negative as we may sound, we're so greatful for the effort of the MyBB team, and thank you all for your time and expertise into making this possible for us. Smile

I second this.

(June 23rd, 2018 at 5:20 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Thank you for the updates @Shade, and welcome to the community! I think I can speak for us all when I say that we are honored to see you here.

Definitely clarifies a lot. I'm glad things are still moving towards 1.9, and thank you for all that you guys do on the MyBB staff. It does not go unnoticed and is greatly appreciated by users (including us here) who have access to a great forum software that is freely available.

I'm curious about the upcoming design, and can't wait to see what's in store!

I doubly second this.

Thanks Shade! Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there really any demand for a social groups plugin for MyBB? Darth-Apple 0 4,166 April 16th, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Last Post: Darth-Apple