• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

So... MyBB 2.0 - any word?

lol... I sorta like makestation's theme, very retro Tongue
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Fair enough, good find. Will have to give it another look myself. Tongue
[Image: forumonic-bar.png]...............[Image: xige-logo-png-blue-sml.png]
Latest snapshots: Postbit Design - Multi Login Modal (1) - Responsive Pollbar
They have decent themes and its good they got the plugins worked out better. It's a lot more usable now. And with alerts and responsive out the box, its hard to argue against it nowadays. I just still (perhaps stubbornly) prefer myBB, even though it is far further behind and needs these features added rapidly.
[Image: sig1.png]
(May 31st, 2018 at 11:36 AM)Martin Wrote: They have decent themes and its good they got the plugins worked out better. It's a lot more usable now. And with alerts and responsive out the box, its hard to argue against it nowadays. I just still (perhaps stubbornly) prefer myBB, even though it is far further behind and needs these features added rapidly.

I think I'm probably in the exact same boat.  [Image: blush.gif]
It seems like they've made quite a bit of progress on the templates for MyBB 1.9, from the looks of it. This is good news!

https://community.mybb.com/thread-215211...pid1305792

Good progress! Though, it seems it's going to invalidate a whole slew of themes made for 1.8.
I agree on that point. Literally everything will have to be completely redone.

On a very similar note, it will break virtually every plugin that exists for MyBB as well. The hooks will probably be fine (which allow code from your plugin to run at predefined points in MyBB's core code without actually having to make edits to MyBB core files). The template edits, however, are literally are of the variety of "look at this template. Find this in the template if it exists, and add this afterwards." If the plugin can't find a very specific sequence it's looking for within the template, it flat out fails to edit it during installation. Literally every single plugin will fail to install correctly.

I hope they make this update worthwhile because it's definitely going to be a lot of work for contributors within the community. If they can make a fantastic design and make it responsive, I do think it will be a major step forward and will be worth it. Part of me hopes to see alerts or notifications too, mainly because that's been a selling point for phpBB lately, but we will see. Finna

I'm just glad to see them making progress. It's good news in any case. Big Grin

(June 5th, 2018 at 2:47 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I hope they make this update worthwhile because it's definitely going to be a lot of work for contributors within the community. If they can make a fantastic design and make it responsive, I do think it will be a major step forward and will be worth it.

The juice MUST be worth the squeeze. It's going to kill a lot of work already done, and make more for everyone. That said, if it can put MyBB forums in a better position to compete, it would be worth it.

(June 5th, 2018 at 2:47 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Part of me hopes to see alerts or notifications too, mainly because that's been a selling point for phpBB lately, but we will see. Finna

That would be FANTASTIC!

(June 5th, 2018 at 2:47 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I'm just glad to see them making progress. It's good news in any case. Big Grin

YES!
you know... this may seem like heresy but I've been wondering for a while... when is there going to be an HTML 5 based forum software?
something universally compatible with any browser that supports HTML5 and all that entails.
(June 5th, 2018 at 2:47 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I agree on that point. Literally everything will have to be completely redone.

On a very similar note, it will break virtually every plugin that exists for MyBB as well. The hooks will probably be fine (which allow code from your plugin to run at predefined points in MyBB's core code without actually having to make edits to MyBB core files). The template edits, however, are literally are of the variety of "look at this template. Find this in the template if it exists, and add this afterwards." If the plugin can't find a very specific sequence it's looking for within the template, it flat out fails to edit it during installation. Literally every single plugin will fail to install correctly.

I hope they make this update worthwhile because it's definitely going to be a lot of work for contributors within the community. If they can make a fantastic design and make it responsive, I do think it will be a major step forward and will be worth it. Part of me hopes to see alerts or notifications too, mainly because that's been a selling point for phpBB lately, but we will see. Finna

I'm just glad to see them making progress. It's good news in any case. Big Grin

Yep plugins and themes will all be broken but it seems to be for the better with the template changes brining us into the modern era and should be easier in the long run. 

As an FYI, here is the development roadmap: https://community.mybb.com/thread-214721...pid1292765
Important point RE what you said: alerts planned for 1.10 whereas 1.9 plans to just make the responsible template & behind the scene changes as it’s something desperately needed for modern forums.

Edit- this site shows development on the new responsive theme: http://mybb.jsoltesz.com/mybb-theme/
I'm a little upset about the 1.9 theme, looks like someone just picked up bootstrap and slapped it on MyBB. Hoping it changes a little. That said does anyone know if they plan on using a CSS framework like bootstrap to handle responsiveness? I hope not. o.o
(June 5th, 2018 at 8:46 AM)Harry K. Wrote: I'm a little upset about the 1.9 theme, looks like someone just picked up bootstrap and slapped it on MyBB. Hoping it changes a little. That said does anyone know if they plan on using a CSS framework like bootstrap to handle responsiveness? I hope not. o.o

No idea about using a framework but I can’t find anything about it so I’d guess not. A question from someone with no idea on theming, why does the design of the default matter when basically everyone changes it anyway? Isn’t the important part the templates that are used as a base for responsive themes?
@Harry K: Oh wow. Good 'ole bootstrap, always makes its presence known somewhere. Tongue

@Martin: That's a good point actually. MyBB's default theme has always been kinda lacking in a lot of respects. I think it turns a lot of people off who aren't familiar enough with MyBB to be aware of its ability to design better themes, but at the same time, it can be good for the community to have more of a "blank canvas" default theme. (Anyone remember the original XF? Nobody really had the time to undo its very heavy design signature in the default theme so just about every design ever made for it was very obviously a xenforo design. Tongue)

I don't mind MyBB's minimalistic approach for default themes for that primary reason. It's much easier for developers to make it what they want it to be, given that they have the time to invest in it.

Side note: regarding alerts, I hate to sound needy, but... ah. I almost wish they would consider it for 1.9, ONLY for the simple fact that literally just about every plugin and theme that exists currently for MyBB will break. They are going to have to make it worthwhile for people to upgrade, because without a lot of new features to offer... well, there's nothing really stopping communities from just sticking with 1.8 if they already have a responsive theme for it. It wouldn't really make sense. People wouldn't convert to something with minimal support if very little is going to be offered in the new version that isn't available in the old.

(June 5th, 2018 at 9:42 AM)Martin Wrote:
(June 5th, 2018 at 8:46 AM)Harry K. Wrote: I'm a little upset about the 1.9 theme, looks like someone just picked up bootstrap and slapped it on MyBB. Hoping it changes a little. That said does anyone know if they plan on using a CSS framework like bootstrap to handle responsiveness? I hope not. o.o

No idea about using a framework but I can’t find anything about it so I’d guess not. A question from someone with no idea on theming, why does the design of the default matter when basically everyone changes it anyway? Isn’t the important part the templates that are used as a base for responsive themes?

If MyBB include bootstrap in the core, it will be nearly impossible for any designer to remove it without core-edits. This and every theme would be basically the same styling, it can be hard to overwrite some of bootstraps core styling.

Quote:I don't mind MyBB's minimalistic approach for default themes for that primary reason. It's much easier for developers to make it what they want it to be, given that they have the time to invest in it.
(June 5th, 2018 at 6:41 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: you know... this may seem like heresy but I've been wondering for a while... when is there going to be an HTML 5 based forum software?
something universally compatible with any browser that supports HTML5 and all that entails.

I'm a fan of this, but this would be a whole new headache for developers. Tongue
(June 5th, 2018 at 9:16 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 5th, 2018 at 6:41 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: you know... this may seem like heresy but I've been wondering for a while... when is there going to be an HTML 5 based forum software?

I'm a fan of this, but this would be a whole new headache for developers. Tongue
true... though if forum design could integrate HTML and be done through html it might actually make it easier to implement extensions and such.

anyway that's my 2 cents on the topic lol.

might take forum games to a whole new level what with the capabilities of HTML 5
(June 6th, 2018 at 10:17 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: might take forum games to a whole new level what with the capabilities of HTML 5

That is definitely true!
https://community.mybb.com/thread-218104...pid1306442 Updates from Shade(Most active dev atm) about 1.9. If Shade gets his hands on that 1.9 theme expect something delicious!! He's an absolute god but he never releases a theme. Tongue His speed on them template conversions were amazing, however he also has his subscribers to please and I'm waiting for an update to a plugin. Shy I guess I'm being selfish ha. Finna

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there really any demand for a social groups plugin for MyBB? Darth-Apple 0 4,164 April 16th, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Last Post: Darth-Apple