Welcome, guest! We are a creative arts/general discussion community, and welcome guests and members alike to participate in our discussions. While registration is not required to post, we strongly recommend considering an account with us, as it a quick, free, and easy way to fully utilize all of the features on our forum. We hope you enjoy your stay!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So... MyBB 2.0 - any word?
(May 29th, 2018 at 9:30 AM)Harry K. Wrote:
(May 28th, 2018 at 10:16 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote:
(May 28th, 2018 at 8:59 PM)Guardian Wrote: The first forum I ever made was on SMF. Man am I glad I found MyBB.

Yep. It's the vbulletin of free forums. Everything as a whole, from administration to customization to the user experience in general, is overall harder and more cluttered than it needs to be. Tongue

I haven't actually tried anything other than MyBB and XenForo. I've been looking at other forum software's and trying to find one that would be good to invest some time in, but every single one(free) looks like it was designed in 90's, including the themes the community offers.

Honestly, agreed. 

I think that phpBB is on the best track as of now. Out of the box it leaves something to be desired, but they seem to have a strong community and have completely modernized the backend of their software (synfomy, plugin systems, etc.). Unfortunately the front end looks like it always has and I don't think it's anywhere near as easy to use as MyBB. But some of the themes that have been put out for it are very good. They have great designers over there as well.

I've never personally been a huge fan of phpBB but I think it is decent software, and it isn't totally repulsive, which is good. Tongue
[Image: makestation_submatrix31_5.png]
Together, we can make something awesome...
Thanks given by:
I've always wanted to stay well away from phpBB but I've been hearing some good things lately, so maybe I'll give it a go. We'll see. Tongue
[Image: forumonic-bar.png]...............[Image: xige-logo-png-blue-sml.png]
Latest snapshots: Postbit Design - Multi Login Modal (1) - Responsive Pollbar
Thanks given by:
I've been more and more interested in it as time goes on to be honest. Always tried to steer clear as well (hated it 5 years ago), but it is quite literally the only free option that even has a responsive theme out of the box. A lot of the major problems people had with phpBB have been addressed (such as not having an actual plugin system, not having good designs, and lacking a good framework), and the community is huge with a non-stagnant development team. I can't say I'm not curious. It definitely seems like they've done quite a lot to it in recent years.

Some designs people have done for it. Apparently it CAN look like something that isn't cookie-cutter phpBB by default. Tongue

http://preview.themeforest.net/item/milk...w/16119149
Or the ones at themeforest: https://themeforest.net/category/forums/phpbb
Thanks given by:
lol... I sorta like makestation's theme, very retro Tongue
[Image: 5.jpg]
Thanks given by: Darth-Apple
Fair enough, good find. Will have to give it another look myself. Tongue
Thanks given by:
They have decent themes and its good they got the plugins worked out better. It's a lot more usable now. And with alerts and responsive out the box, its hard to argue against it nowadays. I just still (perhaps stubbornly) prefer myBB, even though it is far further behind and needs these features added rapidly.
[Image: sig1.png]
Thanks given by: Darth-Apple
(May 31st, 2018 at 11:36 AM)Martin Wrote: They have decent themes and its good they got the plugins worked out better. It's a lot more usable now. And with alerts and responsive out the box, its hard to argue against it nowadays. I just still (perhaps stubbornly) prefer myBB, even though it is far further behind and needs these features added rapidly.

I think I'm probably in the exact same boat.  [Image: blush.gif]
Thanks given by: Electric2Shock
It seems like they've made quite a bit of progress on the templates for MyBB 1.9, from the looks of it. This is good news!

https://community.mybb.com/thread-215211...pid1305792
Thanks given by:
Good progress! Though, it seems it's going to invalidate a whole slew of themes made for 1.8.
Thanks given by:
I agree on that point. Literally everything will have to be completely redone.

On a very similar note, it will break virtually every plugin that exists for MyBB as well. The hooks will probably be fine (which allow code from your plugin to run at predefined points in MyBB's core code without actually having to make edits to MyBB core files). The template edits, however, are literally are of the variety of "look at this template. Find this in the template if it exists, and add this afterwards." If the plugin can't find a very specific sequence it's looking for within the template, it flat out fails to edit it during installation. Literally every single plugin will fail to install correctly.

I hope they make this update worthwhile because it's definitely going to be a lot of work for contributors within the community. If they can make a fantastic design and make it responsive, I do think it will be a major step forward and will be worth it. Part of me hopes to see alerts or notifications too, mainly because that's been a selling point for phpBB lately, but we will see. Finna

I'm just glad to see them making progress. It's good news in any case. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(June 5th, 2018 at 2:47 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I hope they make this update worthwhile because it's definitely going to be a lot of work for contributors within the community. If they can make a fantastic design and make it responsive, I do think it will be a major step forward and will be worth it.

The juice MUST be worth the squeeze. It's going to kill a lot of work already done, and make more for everyone. That said, if it can put MyBB forums in a better position to compete, it would be worth it.

(June 5th, 2018 at 2:47 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Part of me hopes to see alerts or notifications too, mainly because that's been a selling point for phpBB lately, but we will see. Finna

That would be FANTASTIC!

(June 5th, 2018 at 2:47 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I'm just glad to see them making progress. It's good news in any case. Big Grin

YES!
Thanks given by:
you know... this may seem like heresy but I've been wondering for a while... when is there going to be an HTML 5 based forum software?
something universally compatible with any browser that supports HTML5 and all that entails.
[Image: 5.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(June 5th, 2018 at 2:47 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I agree on that point. Literally everything will have to be completely redone.

On a very similar note, it will break virtually every plugin that exists for MyBB as well. The hooks will probably be fine (which allow code from your plugin to run at predefined points in MyBB's core code without actually having to make edits to MyBB core files). The template edits, however, are literally are of the variety of "look at this template. Find this in the template if it exists, and add this afterwards." If the plugin can't find a very specific sequence it's looking for within the template, it flat out fails to edit it during installation. Literally every single plugin will fail to install correctly.

I hope they make this update worthwhile because it's definitely going to be a lot of work for contributors within the community. If they can make a fantastic design and make it responsive, I do think it will be a major step forward and will be worth it. Part of me hopes to see alerts or notifications too, mainly because that's been a selling point for phpBB lately, but we will see. Finna

I'm just glad to see them making progress. It's good news in any case. Big Grin

Yep plugins and themes will all be broken but it seems to be for the better with the template changes brining us into the modern era and should be easier in the long run. 

As an FYI, here is the development roadmap: https://community.mybb.com/thread-214721...pid1292765
Important point RE what you said: alerts planned for 1.10 whereas 1.9 plans to just make the responsible template & behind the scene changes as it’s something desperately needed for modern forums.

Edit- this site shows development on the new responsive theme: http://mybb.jsoltesz.com/mybb-theme/
Thanks given by:
I'm a little upset about the 1.9 theme, looks like someone just picked up bootstrap and slapped it on MyBB. Hoping it changes a little. That said does anyone know if they plan on using a CSS framework like bootstrap to handle responsiveness? I hope not. o.o
Thanks given by:
(June 5th, 2018 at 8:46 AM)Harry K. Wrote: I'm a little upset about the 1.9 theme, looks like someone just picked up bootstrap and slapped it on MyBB. Hoping it changes a little. That said does anyone know if they plan on using a CSS framework like bootstrap to handle responsiveness? I hope not. o.o

No idea about using a framework but I can’t find anything about it so I’d guess not. A question from someone with no idea on theming, why does the design of the default matter when basically everyone changes it anyway? Isn’t the important part the templates that are used as a base for responsive themes?
Thanks given by: