Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Useful certifications

For those of us that don't have time for and or don't want to go to/go back to College there's certifications, the cheaper and easier to obtain with effort alternative.

to that end as I'm working on my A+ I've decided to start compiling a list of handy certifications that many might find useful to have on their resume.
Technical+++
Comp TIA basic certification.
The CompTIA "IT Fundamentals" certification covers foundation IT concepts, basic IT literacy, and terminology and concepts of the IT industry. It is considered the first step toward the A+ certification.

• A+: A+ certification represents entry-level competency as a computer technician and is a vendor neutral certification that covers various technologies and operating systems.  Expires in 3 years.
  • Network+: Network+ is the entry-level certification is used to measure skill as a network technician.  Expires in 3 years.
  • Security+: Security+ is an entry-level vendor-neutral security certification that builds off of the network security knowledge covered by the Network+ certification. Expires in 3 years.
    Certification of any of these prior to January 1, 2011 is considered good-for-life (GFL) and does not expire.
you can find out more about these certifications at https://certification.comptia.org/

CTA certifications
  • MECP Installation Technician, has 3 levels, Basic, Advanced, master.
Effectively qualifies you to work on car stereo's, dash equipment, etc.

you need the basic one to work in the Automobile install/stereo equipment install department of best buy, car toys, and other related businesses.

you can find out more here: https://mecp.com/

CROL (Commercial radio Operator License), this right here, because you can add onto it and it's useful to have since everything uses radio communications in some form these days, super useful to have and maintain if you are working in or have an interest in anything involving radio communications.
https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divi...nu-block-4

also a HAM radio operator license if you can swing one, just in case.
for that you're going to need to find either a local ham radio club that does the exam or go to a Radio Operator convention.

+++

do you have any certifications you'd like to add? post below and I'll add them to the list.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Great thread!

For some more advanced ones that seem to do really well in the industry.

Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) - Definitely turns some heads on a resume. I've let mine lapse though, surprisingly easy test with no other prerequisites.
CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) - More technical understanding required, the exam has a practical application portion. One of the harder exams there is.
Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) - One of the more daunting tests. From my area, this is regarded as the expert-level security certification. 
Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) - For those pursuing the management route. A great big-picture certification that is for those that have to assess enterprise security posture weight cos/risk for the benefit of the business.
great choices there guardian, a few others would be the compTIA linux + certification, the microsoft certified Processional one, and any of the apple certified technician one's... if you have the cash, good luck getting the apple pro cert though, it doesn't exist yet! lol

Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) certification
validates IT professional and developer technical expertise through rigorous, industry-proven, and industry-recognized exams. MCP exams cover a wide range of Microsoft products, technologies, and solutions

Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
This certification is for the repair and diagnostics of all Macintosh desktops, portables, and servers. This certification is required to perform warranted hardware repairs for an Apple Authorized Service Provider. - Basically you need this one to order OEM parts for and make repairs on Apple products "officially".

there are a variety of others but this one above is probably the most valuable one
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_cert...n_programs

CompTIA Linux+
This certification indicates of knowledge of Linux operating systems, from their installation and use to the basics of applicable Free software and Open source Licenses.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Moved to Resources & Tutorials section. I think this could be a great resource thread.