Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

University

So I decided to go back to school last year, and here I am, studying for computer science. I actually moved to a completely different city, left a great full time desk job, and moved back into an apartment, basically uprooting everything. I'll write more about my life experiences as time goes on, but for the time being, I'm planning, currently, just to get my bachelors and get a job, but the idea of getting a masters sounds good too. And I'm enjoying the college life a little, even though I'm a little older than most juniors. (Not by a ton. Not by too much. But maybe a tad. Tongue

These days it's easy to get your feet wet and get your foot in the door without one. BUT, 1. With the degree, you get the experience of being in college and having the experience of a lifetime while you're at it. 

2, you have every opportunity under the sun to make great connections without having to fight an uphill battle. 

3, you have less to figure out on your own. As a part of your studies, you will learn advanced coding in advanced languages, various algorithms, how to write great code, etc. And it will force you out of your comfort zone and teach you many things you might not have brought on to yourself. 

And, 4, it looks great to employers, even if you get a job outside of the field. 

I'm not too terribly far off from graduating and I'm already beyond excited, and glad I made the decision to go back to school. What are your thoughts on getting a degree in the field?

I'm married now, so that killed my motivation to go to college. Tongue I stopped just short of my Management Information Systems degree. I don't regret it and haven't had issues getting jobs. My experience speaks for itself.

That said, it definitely doesn't hurt and could help if you had to shift career fields.
its nice to hear really that both of you have made career decisions your happy with Smile
Sports fanatic
@Guardian: That's awesome haha. How did you end up getting your first job in the field?

@Brian: Thank you! Haha. Tongue

(March 31st, 2018 at 12:47 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: @Guardian: That's awesome haha. How did you end up getting your first job in the field?

I joined the Marine Corps. 9 months of schooling for IT work, then thrown into a very high demanding operational environment for 4 years. I ended up doing 9. The responsibility was immense, and it has contributed a lot to my success afterwards.
Oh I have a few buddies who are in the military! That's awesome. Skip some school and jump straight into the field. Finna

(April 2nd, 2018 at 6:13 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Oh I have a few buddies who are in the military! That's awesome. Skip some school and jump straight into the field. Finna

Yeah, pretty much. The experience is much more instrumental than any degree. We go to school too, but to learn exactly what we need, nothing more.
Yes my first room-mate went off to the military..
it was a good decision for him and its worked out well for him ever since..
Sports fanatic
I tried to go to College but ITT closed within just after my first quarter so I didn't get to do much, these days I'm focused on getting certifications instead, I should be taking my A+ cert exam soon then I've got a few others lined up as well.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(April 6th, 2018 at 1:13 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: ITT closed 

They screwed over a lot of people. At least you didn't get too far into it. I know it seems to be a black mark for many people now.
honestly ITT closed and my loans got cancelled, I hadn't even started paying them so I ended up getting a refresher course in computer science and repair for free, so I'm not going to complain, only lament I couldn't do more.
(April 10th, 2018 at 4:56 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: honestly ITT closed and my loans got cancelled, 

Wow, that's awesome they did that.
yeah they were able to do that much which is why I'm not hurting, I also got to it early enough that they couldn't go back on it either.