Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Wanting to start a PC build/repair business

so I've got 3 days during the week of time to do whatever the hell I want and I figured hey maybe I should see about setting up a local-ish business where I build PC's for people and deliver/set them up on site for $$$, anyway that's the idea I'm thinking I want to do, does anyone have experience with this sorta thing and could offer some advise?
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
I don't have experience, but I was considering the same thing. Even the technical guys I know still have someone else build their computers, so there's money to be made.
indeed, I still need to see about getting an ISDN though, business tax number, and register my company but once I do that it's simply a matter of advertising right?
The margins are pretty tight these days in that business. Would there be a particular niche that you'd be targetting?

mostly that I can undercut the bigger guy in everything but cost of parts.

that and there really is no PC repair shop here in town besides best buy which just tells you to go buy a new computer

there is however 3 mac repair places.
Did you ever do this?
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
Unfortunately it didn't go through, couldn't get the startup capital.

these days I buy broken consoles and repair them to sell as refurbished to make extra money outside my job.

Btw, Nintendo switch consoles are pretty easy to repair, they've only got a few common points of failure that are easy to diagnose.
Have you thought about getting into the Apple repair business? It's very lucrative being that it's becoming more and more of a walled garden. Being that you're pretty comfortable with a soldering iron, it's probably good money I would imagine?

I ask becuase I know a buddy who makes a lot of money on his side business. He's repaired mine before and undercuts all of the major shops, and gets his parts in lots on Ebay. I've thought about doing something like that myself.

(March 23rd, 2020 at 11:17 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Have you thought about getting into the Apple repair business? It's very lucrative being that it's becoming more and more of a walled garden. Being that you're pretty comfortable with a soldering iron, it's probably good money I would imagine?

I ask becuase I know a buddy who makes a lot of money on his side business. He's repaired mine before and undercuts all of the major shops, and gets his parts in lots on Ebay. I've thought about doing something like that myself.

I have, though the issue isn't so much skill with hardware repair as it is access to parts, and the way apple puts traps in the software if you don't run special software after replacing things like the voltage regulator module or an onboard ROM chip.  It's rather stupid actually.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tools Every Computer repair effort should have. SpookyZalost 5 2,215 September 7th, 2021 at 3:15 PM
Last Post: tc4me
  Trackball mouse for custom PC build SpookyZalost 8 10,445 October 24th, 2017 at 4:43 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost