Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any suggestions on 3D modeling software?

I recently decided I'd be interested in trying to do some 3D modeling, but I don't really have any software that is good for that sort of thing. I'm on a tight budget, so all of the stuff from AutoCAD won't really be suited for me, but autoCAD is probably far more than I need anyhow. Anyone have any suggestions on a decent free program that is beginner friendly?

SketchUp is fairly good for simple low budget 3d modelling, but blender or 3dsMax are suited if you want to do some serious modelling work. If you're really desperate, then you can use Gmax, but that's extremely noobish Tongue
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
I might try Blender. I've already heard of it, and from my understanding it's free and fairly easy to use.

Thanks Big Grin

Blender's interface is quite hard to get into. But other than that, it is a very good free modeler, and in my books, the best.

Is it any more difficult than Gmax?

Well, yeah, it kind of is. But Gmax is pretty... dated and really isn't worth using anyways.

Yeah, gmax is pretty dated to say the least. I found it annoying to use because of that haha. Tongue

Unless you could find some awesome plugins, it's doubtful you could do any extreme good looking (to today's standards) modelling (shaders, etc).

I'm not expecting anything that will be ultra advanced or anything anyhow, so I don't think that will be a problem. I can't afford autoCAD anyway, so I think I'll have to be happy with what I can get haha. Tongue

3dsMax is pretty expensive too. Just keep that in mind.

I'm not really planning to go that route since I don't have the money to pay for that stuff. I'd love to be able to use it though. Big Grin

Iv'e heard of the following:
  • Blender

• zBrush

• Maya
Anyway, I also have heard of  Daz 3D, Poser, Studio Max, and I use Poser 10, but I'm not sure if it's (Poser) modeling software.
I like blender myself, mostly because it also runs in linux! lol. Tongue

also you can download it from steam, and it can also be used as a free video editor... once you get the hang of it.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
How os MAYA, Houdini, Cinema 4D, ZBrush.