Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Your dream computer workstation

Personally, I love computers, and do quite a bit of projects at the computer. A good workstation can definitely make a big difference. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of money on hand, but given I had the resources, my dream workstation would be...

Desktop with
16GB DDR3 RAM
Intel i7 CPU
3TB Hard drive for data, with 300GB SSD for storage
Dual-boot with Windows 7 ultimate and some linux distribution
Two monitors at 1920x1080 pixels

Laptop with
8GB of RAM and another i7.

And of course the really awesome extras of a decorated desk area with neon lighting, printers, lighted keyboards, and what not.

Of course a setup like that would be ridiculously expensive. My actual workstation looks nothing like that. So, what would your dream workstation look like?

The PCGamer Rig
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
That's one awesome rig. I'm a little surprised they aren't going for the i7 chips in that rig, but I can see why as well.

Yeah, i7 is powerful, but i5's are powerful too for gaming.

Hyperthreading never really does seem to be very good for gaming purposes. It always seems like once you get four cores, the clock speed is what counts the most.

I still think that if I had the ultimate rig, I'd take the i7s anyway just for the bragging rights, but if it makes no difference there's really no point haha. Tongue

Man, if I had google fiber, I'd also get a powerful server computer to host minecraft (if they allow gaming scripts) for free instead of paying for it.

That would be pretty awesome. I know I certainly couldn't run a server from my internet connection because I get terrible speeds.

Can the i5 line of CPUs be overclocked? I believe they can, and if that's the case you could get them up to like 4.5GHZ for the ultimate minecraft experience.

Yeah, even if you have a good server pc, if your upload speeds are bad, then it will take a real toll on server to client lag. And the other way around if your PC is crappy and your upload speeds are exceptional.

Sadly most ISPs have very poor upload speeds these days. I'm one of those people that gets better upload speeds than download speeds, but even still it's only 1.8mbps and that's nowhere near suitable for a minecraft server haha.

The server for minecraft (like other things) is very poorly optimized, and uses a LOT of bandwidth. I'd be surprised if up to 500mb up was good.

I've heard that it isn't very well designed. It's nice that it uses java so that it will run well on Linux systems, but besides that it could use some optimization for sure.

I think that's one of the game's flaws. Java, when combined with poor programming = extreme cpu usage. But the nice thing is that it's cross-compatible with any platform that supports it (all major OS'es, for example)

One advantage though is that CPU power is increasing almost on a yearly basis these days. Unfortunately minecraft seems to like having a higher clock speed more than having a lot of cores, and lately technology has been moving towards the direction of more cores. In fact, clock speeds have dropped somewhat in server platforms for the higher-end CPUs since putting a ton of cores in the CPUs tends to be better for server platforms.

I wonder, would you get an i9 if it existed? Tongue

Not sure what they'd do to the i9 line to make it different than the i7 haha. Maybe put 8 cores in them and make them hyperthreaded so you have a total of 16 logical cores?

If you were going to go that route, you might as well get an E5 xeon or something haha. Tongue

I wonder how worth it would 128 bit processors be.

Most computers don't really need to process 128 bits of data at once anyway, so I doubt it would be a real performance improvement. Even 64 bit processors aren't a huge performance improvement over 32 bit processors.

Well, 32 bit processors AFAIK only support 3gb of RAM (or is that just Windows being Windows?)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are your computer specifications? Darth-Apple 50 72,263 June 11th, 2020 at 11:29 PM
Last Post: Thomas
  Geekbench Your Computer Darth-Apple 7 4,299 June 11th, 2020 at 8:33 AM
Last Post: tc4me
  Your iPhone probably outperforms your computer. Darth-Apple 2 3,010 June 7th, 2019 at 5:04 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  Computer in your pocket? Rasberry Pi makes it possible Darth-Apple 9 16,652 June 3rd, 2017 at 5:17 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost