Poll: Google translate vs Babel Fish
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Google translate
100.00%
4 100.00%
Babel Fish
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Google translate vs Babel Fish

Personally, I feel like both are pretty bad when it comes to translating text, but out of the two, Google translate far outshines Babble fish. What's your opinion? Be sure to vote in the poll!

Ah in another life...
This reminded me of the Babel Fish from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Big Grin
Anyway I never use Babble Fish so its GT for me.
Err what do I put here?<br /><br />I like Minecraft? I play Minecraft? <br />I play Sim City 4? I play Sim City 4?<br />I also don't like democracy! Wink
Babel Fish actually will throw random characters in the translation sometimes. Other than that they seem to have roughly the same quality of translation, but honestly random characters thrown in my translation is a problem. Tongue

Though both translators pretty much fail on the level of grammar, I'll go with Google Translate.
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
I always find it entertaining to translate something, and then to translate it back to English. Sometimes it takes on a whole new meaning haha.

Big Grin
Err what do I put here?<br /><br />I like Minecraft? I play Minecraft? <br />I play Sim City 4? I play Sim City 4?<br />I also don't like democracy! Wink
For some reason, as said, the results aren't consistent with either translator. It's less trouble even to learn the language yourself.
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
That's often the case with the less common languages that translators often mess up. I mean you won't get a great translation, but Spanish/English translations are good enough to be usable. If you are translating to and from Japanese, it's a different story. Tongue

*GRAVEDIGGING*

Years later... we can see Google Translate has the higher popularity of the two, though BabelFish is still alive and kicking.

One thing BabelFish sets itself apart from Google is the ability to communicate with others to get clarification or guidance on their words, usage, etc.
ah but google translate works like a UT these days, with the ability to translate text on the fly by pointing your phone's camera at it.
and the ability to act as an intermediary translator.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(September 13th, 2019 at 5:42 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: ah but google translate works like a UT these days, with the ability to translate text on the fly by pointing your phone's camera at it.
and the ability to act as an intermediary translator.

That's true. I still believe overall that Google Translate is far superior in usage and ability. But, for those that need clarification, not so much.
Honestly I recently setup my grandfather's galaxy 4s with the latest version of translate and showed him how to use it.

he seemed really impressed considering the age of the phone and he's not had a smartphone until recently.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
I use Google Translate - but, mostly out of habit and convenience.

(Of course, even then, it's a very poor substitute for talking to native speakers Tongue !)
[Image: pkmb0Gv.png]

#ForzaJules 1989-2015