Welcome, guest! We are a creative arts/general discussion community, and welcome guests and members alike to participate in our discussions. While registration is not required to post, we strongly recommend considering an account with us, as it a quick, free, and easy way to fully utilize all of the features on our forum. We hope you enjoy your stay!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cyberdeck project
so I'm kind of torn right now, trying to decide between staying with the command line or using the graphical interface I have working with it, both are functional but one is a lot slower than the other.

is anyone here handy enough with the born again shell to give me some great ideas for making the command line even more intuitive?

I've been looking for programs like scripts that can handle the overhead of logging into wifi networks and stuff, simple weather apps, and maybe some kind of ASCII windowing system but that's up in the air and mostly old dos stuff.

also maybe a way to run dosbox from command line as that would be super useful

any ideas you guys have would be great.

Zalost - out
[Image: oEirbE7.png]
Thanks given by:
Powershell a possibility?
Thanks given by:
maybe, I've been experimenting with some ideas and If I can customize it a bit I might use this TUI I've found.

It's called TWIN or Texmode WINdow Environemnt and it runs inside terminal interfaces.
[Image: 20051211213457%21Twin.png]

[Image: 1]

maybe I can use it coupled with Screen or something to have multiple desktops but given the glasses interface screen space is at a premium.

still adapting this would mean the most light weight interface, and it's Ncurses based!  Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Very nice! Looks cool.
Thanks given by:
so I did pick up a capture card recently, I'll be taking pictures of what my wearable glasses desktop looks like probably in the next few days, just gotta route it through a composite switch modded to split video
Thanks given by:
sorry about leaving this abandoned for so long but I wanted to talk a bit about where I am with this.

still works great using a raspi 3 but it still feels like it's missing something.

on top of that there's more and more SBC's (single board computers), coming out all the time and I've been following their development to see if I can find one that not only supports composite video in some form but one that has both a GPIO and a different kind of CPU.

to that end right now I've been looking into one board that actually uses an X86 based CPU instead of an ARM based one allowing the user to run regular linux software on.

I don't have to tell you how much this speeds up not only development but also troubleshooting and such.

there's one other idea I've been experimenting with though, I've been using raspi-zero's as remote terminals so I can use their GPIO remotely, it's making me wonder if I can do things that way with just a bunch of specialized one's designed with a connector of sorts that allows me to clip onto/tap into various hardware lines and such then just ssh into and run software to capture/send data without directly connecting to the unit.

so that's where I am right now... the interface is still rather boring and work has kept me from optimizing it graphically for the low resolution of the video glasses.
Thanks given by: Guardian
I'm getting back into the swing of things with this project, mostly because I've been waiting for technology to catch up.  so here's the deal, I'm thinking of building a prototype a lot closer to my original concept soon, maybe have it ready by january.  I'm sort of excited because if everything works like I hope this will be a functional cyberdeck I can carry around with me.

so here is the list of parts I'm going to acquire.

1 Amiga 1200 3D printed case (remake) $94.50
[Image: White_Case_HalfSize__48892.1526087653.png?c=2]
1 tenkeyless mechanical keyboard kit $32

[Image: large_536_phantom_PCB_top2.jpg]

a set of mechanical switches and keys

switches: $1 per switch avg
key's, full set approx $50

a trackball to fit in the numpad space: $50 - $80 depending on quality and where you get it.

[Image: sanwa-supply-wireless-trackball-pro-ma-wtb40r.jpg]

that's my thoughts so far... as far as the computer part I'm actually interested in a few single board computers that are coming out now that have PCI-E slots which means you can use standard and or low profile components, that or utilizing whatever one has good video output with decent CPU performance.

there are 8 core SBC's now!

[Image: 201506171531272562.jpg]
for example the O-Droid UX4

* Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex™-A15 2Ghz and Cortex™-A7 Octa core CPUs
* Mali-T628 MP6(OpenGL ES 3.1/2.0/1.1 and OpenCL 1.2 Full profile)
* 2Gbyte LPDDR3 RAM PoP stacked
* eMMC5.0 HS400 Flash Storage
* 2 x USB 3.0 Host, 1 x USB 2.0 Host
* Gigabit Ethernet port
* HDMI 1.4a for display
* Size : 83 x 58 x 20 mm approx.(excluding cooler)
* Power: 5V/4A input
* Linux Kernel 4.14 LTS

pretty good for a single board computer lol, and considering I'll be using a TUI instead of a full on GUI the power is less important than the over all capabilities.

edit: wanted to update because I found this!

[Image: USB-PS2-Panel-mount-38mm-Metal-Trackball...lproof.jpg]

I can get one for around $56, it's an industrial panel mount trackball.  normally used for kiosks but the trackball doesn't come out without taking the back off (so good for carrying) and should be around the right size and shape to fit the numpad!  plus it looks awesome as hell with the brushed metal look.
Thanks given by:
That looks pretty sweet!
Thanks given by: