Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Oil Changes

Some car owners neglect them more than others. I'll admit, I don't always do them every 3,000 miles. In fact, I'd argue that 3,000 is a bit too early in most cases. Even decent conventional oils can generally go closer to a good 5K miles before needing to be replaced nowadays, and synthetic or synthetic blend oils can supposedly go a bit longer. (Personally, would I trust a fully synthetic oil to go 7-8K miles without issues? Yes. A synthetic blend? Probably not, but I haven't ever tried one to know for sure. )

Anyway, because my engine has some miles on it and I want to keep it clean, I'm not really a huge fan of waiting any longer than about 5K miles, regardless of what oil I have in my engine. As a result, I've just been sticking with the cheap filters and the fairly cost effective high mileage conventional oils, so I haven't experimented with anything fancy that supposedly lasts longer. (Currently using Pennzoil high mileage, about $18 for 5 quarts, but I might switch to the Castrol high mileage for my next change, which is supposedly better and is actually a bit cheaper at my walmart. Either way, my filter + the oil is less than $25 even after you factor in the taxes. Not bad considering I'm getting good quality oil. )

Anyone else here do their own changes? If so, what brand do you use? Are you smart enough to avoid the cheap filters, or are you like me and grab the cheapest thing on the shelf? Tongue

My oil and filter changes, along with inspection and other maintenance, is every 10,000 miles. It's easier to just get "Service A" and "Service B" done instead of paying oil and filter changes independently.

Even though my car is a money pit, it is reliable enough to go 10,000 miles every time. When a light on the dash comes on, though, I get it fixed as soon as I can.
[Image: favicon.ico]CoD Glitches - Call of Duty Glitching Community
[Image: favicon.ico]CoD4 Zone - Call of Duty 4 Fan Discussion Forum
What do you drive? Do you know if they are using synthetic oil since you are going the 10K miles between changes?

Not a whole lot really needs to be done more often than every 10K miles besides the oil changes. If they use synthetic oil, you're probably good on 10K miles between changes. Before I started doing my own changes, I thought I was doing bad on 7-8K miles between changes, but I used conventional oil and to be honest, when you drive 2K miles/month, it's hard to get to your oil changes exactly when they are needed. Tongue

I average 8000 miles before an oil change. I never take it in on an arbitrary number, but I check the oil periodically after about 5000 and take it when it needs it.

The 3000 mile recommendation still stands for cars from 20 years ago using non-synthetic oils. Technology has come a long way, and there's no reason to not utilize it to your benefit. Some cars with the right oil can safely go 15,000 miles before actually NEEDING an oil change.
15000 without a change still scares me. It may retain its properties, but it's still gonna get dirty. Hey, the important part is that it doesn't lose its ability to lubricate the engine though. Tongue

(June 20th, 2015 at 4:43 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: 15000 without a change still scares me. It may retain its properties,  but it's still gonna get dirty. Hey, the important part is that it doesn't lose its ability to lubricate the engine though. Tongue

True. That's why you got to check it from time to time.
I change my oil myself every 6,000 miles in my 73 Beetle. I use full synthetic 10w30. I think it's a bit more leak prone than conventional, but as long as I check the level periodically and add more oil as needed it's fine.
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
I try to get an oil change every 5K miles, if only because it's a habit I got from my grandfather... no complaints thus far.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Where do you buy the oil? Dealer? Autoshop`? Amazon?

Angel

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
Auto shop for me, we've a few in town so the competition keeps the price fair.
I buy wholesale car accessories.

e.g. https://www.motoroeldirekt.at/

So I'd like to update my position on this.

I did my own oil change recently... it took me 30 minutes and cost me $10 less than going to a shop... which means it was both faster and cheaper to do it myself... why do people not do this themselves?
(October 7th, 2020 at 3:32 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: So I'd like to update my position on this.

I did my own oil change recently... it took me 30 minutes and cost me $10 less than going to a shop... which means it was both faster and cheaper to do it myself... why do people not do this themselves?

My issue is disposal of the oil... No idea what to do with it. Figure the auto shops have the most efficient recyclable/disposal methods.
I usually just take it to Autozone. They’ll usually take it, although you need a special jug to transport it and it can make a mess. Finna

HY, so I buy the oil in 5 liters, https://www.autoersatzteile24.at/9044505-castrol , my Smax needs 6 liters, I buy 30 liters for 5 oil changes. After changing the oil from the collecting container, https://www.amazon.de/Liqui-Moly-7055-%C...B0062U6628 ,  I fill the used oil back into the empty new 5 liter cans. I take them to the hazardous waste place that every municipality has and where we collect the used oil in large containers

lg Tc4me

See, these are things I need to figure out. Tongue Growing up, everyone used to just pour them out in a corner of the yard... which I know is horrible. Not something I would consider doing. I guess I need to find a place to take it in. Do the auto parts places charge for disposal? If not, I'll have to look at the local dump.
In Austria, the seller is obliged to take back the amount of oil he sells to you free of charge

I just take it to the local chemical waste disposal over by the city dump

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Jetta's Oil Filter from Hell Darth-Apple 14 12,165 October 9th, 2020 at 6:09 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  What’s normal in terms of oil consumption? Darth-Apple 7 4,429 October 7th, 2020 at 3:37 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost