Poll: Should "happy holidays" be used over "merry christmas" in regions where the majority of people still celebrate christmas?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, definitely
0%
0 0%
Probably, but I'm not offended by it.
20.00%
1 20.00%
I don't care.
40.00%
2 40.00%
No, I don't see the point.
40.00%
2 40.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"Happy Holidays"

So, at one of my jobs, I'm not allowed to say "merry christmas" as a fear of offending someone who doesn't celebrate christmas. Very few people here in America don't celebrate christmas, whether religious about their celebration or not, but there are some who still choose to avoid it. The usage of "xmas" has increased as well, sometimes (not always) used as a way to remove "christ" from christmas. 

Personally, I'm honestly not all that bothered with using "happy holidays" instead of merry christmas, partly because christmas isn't the only holiday people are celebrating. I'm not really one to pick problems where problems don't exist, but with that said, given the option, I'll generally use "merry christmas" more often than "happy holidays," simply because that seems to be on people's minds more. I suppose that's easy for me to say considering I do celebrate Christmas. Tongue

What is your opinion? Should "merry christmas" be avoided in public situations to avoid offending those who don't celebrate christmas? Is it something that is not necessary due to the majority of people who do celebrate? 

The people that do get offended are in the wrong, why worry?