Poll: Will downloadable MP3s ultimately replace CDs?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
80.00%
4 80.00%
Maybe
0%
0 0%
No
20.00%
1 20.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MP3s vs CDs

Over the past several years, CD players have gradually been going out of style. Few people today don't own an MP3 player, and MP3s can be packed by the hundreds onto a $25 device that fits easily inside of your pocket. With their increasing popularity, are they beginning to replace CDs?

My personal feeling is that CDs will gradually become the next records. They will be the vintage way of playing music, but the trends will gradually shift towards electronic copies of media. However, at least for me, nothing can beat a classic CD of a great album held right in your hands. Thoughts?

I voted yes. And I agree with you on CDs being vintage.
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
I voted maybe. And just because you'll always have these nostalgia blinded CD lovers.
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
If I purchase an album, I still always prefer to have the hard copy of the CD. I know I could just download it, but while I'll always listen to MP3s instead of CDs, I still love having the hard copy.

Don't get me wrong, cds are great to have, but as I usually listen to indie music nowadays, I don't come by cds often.
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
I've never used an mp3 so I have no idea if I would like it or not. I think it has unlimited songs or something like that so I might like that better since listening to the same songs again over and over is kind of dull and boring.
I use neither MP3s or CDs. I use music streaming Tongue
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
Music streaming is also on the rise for sure. I don't think it will replace MP3s, but it will probably exist alongside MP3s as the primary force driving music in the not-to-distant future.

I think I will never buy a CD again, mp3 does the job perfectly for me.

CDs will become extinct, in my opinion.
Probably about as extinct as records are now haha.

I had seen a lot of movies before joining Law as my major, after entering law I always go for the movies which may enhance not only the entertainment as well as my information towards my subject. Last night was watching DEVIL, and I would say that what a fantastic movie that was.
Ban reason: "I don't have any idea, actually I am a student of law and do not deals with this kind of stuff." (Permanent)
it looks like MP3 players are going to replace CD players... but here's the thing, I honestly think MP3's are going to be replaced by a higher quality format eventually, a lossless one even.
and as for music sales... I'm waiting for CD's to be completely replaced by SD card based media since that works in everything these days.
Yeah, CD's are definitely on their way out. No more skipping! Cool
In some interesting news, MP3 licensing is now no longer really a thing. The company that owns the licensing pretty much cut it off recently. AAC is more or less the format of choice if people want to stick with the MPEG standards these days. OGG vorbis can out-do both. Big Grin

CD players aren't even being installed in a lot of computers anymore. It's a shame, but hey, i can't remember the last time i actually bought one either. Dodgy

(May 24th, 2017 at 12:54 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: In some interesting news, MP3 licensing is now no longer really a thing. The company that owns the licensing pretty much cut it off recently. AAC is more or less the format of choice if people want to stick with the MPEG standards these days. OGG vorbis can out-do both. Big Grin

CD players aren't even being installed in a lot of computers anymore. It's a shame, but hey, i can't remember the last time i actually bought one either. Dodgy

oddly enough Vinyl popularity is on the rise a bit, but honestly I think the future is in 3D crystal based solid state storage.
Example:
[Image: 5d-storage.jpg]

that one disc can store 360 Terabytes for several billion years without degradation supposedly.

Also Holographic Versatile Discs are being researched and mini Disc sized HVDs could hold entire music collections given the normal ones have storage capacities in the Terabyte range, at least until crystal Discs come into common use.

until then... can you imagine storing Discographies on mini Blu-rays? lol Tongue
Holy shit... how do they even engineer this stuff? Hard drives have multiple disks and can get nowhere near that storage capacity. Huh

And I have a thing for records honestly. We're buying one for our new apartment once I move for school this fall. Big Grin

Solid-state is the current future. What's the future's future? Tongue

My wife bought a record player a few months ago and has been getting back into vinyl as well. Great, old-school sound.
The next future is embedding music into our brains. We shall take it with us everywhere. Big Grin