Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ask Nebulous

What is your avatar, and what was the inspiration for it?

(December 29th, 2022 at 12:56 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: What is your avatar, and what was the inspiration for it?

I dunno, its been on my computer for years. I forgot where I found it from or what its about. It just looks cool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nebulous's post:
  • Darth-Apple
(December 29th, 2022 at 1:01 AM)Joe Wrote:
(December 29th, 2022 at 12:56 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: What is your avatar, and what was the inspiration for it?

I dunno, its been on my computer for years.  I forgot where I found it from or what its about.  It just looks cool.

Agreed. I like it.

(December 29th, 2022 at 1:02 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote:
(December 29th, 2022 at 1:01 AM)Joe Wrote:

I dunno, its been on my computer for years.  I forgot where I found it from or what its about.  It just looks cool.

Agreed. I like it.

Thanks, Smile

Did you get my PM about the username change?
Sorta looks like a cross between a peacock's feathers and an eldrich abomination.

What skills have you learned as a webmaster and admin have you learned in your time using and running a forum?
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes SpookyZalost's post:
  • Nebulous
(December 29th, 2022 at 1:09 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Sorta looks like a cross between a peacock's feathers and an eldrich abomination.

What skills have you learned as a webmaster and admin have you learned in your time using and running a forum?

Wuzz up SpookyZalost! I remember you! You have an account over at my forum, if you need any help getting back into your account let me know. You are entitled to Elite Membership since you were an OG Wober member joining in 2014. Darth Apple just got turned purple over there too. Big Grin

Anywho, as far as skills being a webmaster/admin? Other than technical abilities, it helped give me leadership experience I suppose. Helped advance my people skills.
[-] The following 2 users Like Nebulous's post:
  • Darth-Apple, SpookyZalost
(December 29th, 2022 at 1:16 AM)Joe Wrote: Wuzz up SpookyZalost!  I remember you! You have an account over at my forum, if you need any help getting back into your account let me know.  You are entitled to Elite Membership since you were an OG Wober member joining in 2014.  Darth Apple just got turned purple over there too. Big Grin

Anywho, as far as skills being a webmaster/admin?  Other than technical abilities, it helped give me leadership experience I suppose.  Helped advance my people skills.

I hadn't realized it was Wober! I refreshed my profile over there. Surprised I could still get into it. That was always a forum to aspire to. It was always impressive!
[-] The following 2 users Like Guardian's post:
  • Darth-Apple, Nebulous
(December 29th, 2022 at 3:18 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(December 29th, 2022 at 1:16 AM)Joe Wrote: Wuzz up SpookyZalost!  I remember you! You have an account over at my forum, if you need any help getting back into your account let me know.  You are entitled to Elite Membership since you were an OG Wober member joining in 2014.  Darth Apple just got turned purple over there too. Big Grin

Anywho, as far as skills being a webmaster/admin?  Other than technical abilities, it helped give me leadership experience I suppose.  Helped advance my people skills.

I hadn't realized it was Wober! I refreshed my profile over there. Surprised I could still get into it. That was always a forum to aspire to. It was always impressive!

Thank you, glad to see you back again!

Yes we are Wober indeed! The rebrand from Wober to Off Topix was out of necessity. When it came time to bring the forum back online I discovered that old wober.net domain was owned by someone else. I figured that was the perfect opportunity to rebrand and relaunch the community using an amazing domain name I acquired: offtopix.com. Of course I could have registered a similar domain incorporating the name “Wober” but I thought a rebrand was due because it’s been so long since we were last online. The name “Wober” doesn’t have the same brand recognition it once had. Our new name is much more fitting for a general discussion community.

Like I told @SpookyZalost over there in the shout box, if you miss Wober or just want some nostalgia, switch over to the Wober Legacy theme, still has the old logo and everything.

Also while we're on the subject, about 5 or 6 weeks after we reopened I was able to win back the Wober.net domain name in an auction. Since I was the only bidder I got it back for $14. Now I just use it to redirect to the new domain name.
[-] The following 2 users Like Nebulous's post:
  • Darth-Apple, Guardian
(December 29th, 2022 at 11:40 PM)Nebulous Wrote: Like I told @SpookyZalost over there in the shout box,  if you miss Wober or just want some nostalgia, switch over to the Wober Legacy theme, still has the old logo and everything.

Also while we're on the subject, about 5 or 6 weeks after we reopened I was able to win back the Wober.net domain name in an auction.  Since I was the only bidder I got it back for $14.  Now I just use it to redirect to the new domain name.

I'm rocking the Wober Dark theme.  Cool

Glad you got the domain back!
[-] The following 2 users Like Guardian's post:
  • Nebulous, SpookyZalost
(January 2nd, 2023 at 6:48 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(December 29th, 2022 at 11:40 PM)Nebulous Wrote: Like I told @SpookyZalost over there in the shout box,  if you miss Wober or just want some nostalgia, switch over to the Wober Legacy theme, still has the old logo and everything.

Also while we're on the subject, about 5 or 6 weeks after we reopened I was able to win back the Wober.net domain name in an auction.  Since I was the only bidder I got it back for $14.  Now I just use it to redirect to the new domain name.

I'm rocking the Wober Dark theme.  Cool

Glad you got the domain back!

Glad I got the domain back too! Big Grin

The Wober Legacy themes were just added a few weeks ago. A member created a suggestion thread asking for it and a few other members hopped on the bandwagon in agreement with him. Then one of my staff members purchased the base theme and donated it to the forum, after that I applied all the necessary edits, images and color changes to bring the Wober Legacy theme back to life. It was a group effort.

The Wober Dark theme is actually new creation. In the past we only had the Light version of the theme, but since nowadays we have a light and dark version of every theme, it only made sense to create a dark version.

Heart
So who bought wober anyway? I know you won it back but it's unique enough it's surprising anyone snapped it up.
(January 2nd, 2023 at 10:20 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: So who bought wober anyway? I know you won it back but it's unique enough it's surprising anyone snapped it up.

It changed hands a couple times. I'd randomly type wober.net into a browser every once in a while while I was gone from the forum world.

At one point it was a blog that reviewed cameras or something like that, seemed kind of spammy because every camera had a referral link to amazon and other websites.

After that it was just a parking page with random links on it for a while.

In mid-2022 it just said "The domain has expired and may be available at auction. If this is your domain, you can still renew it" ...so I kept an eye on the auction and became a bidder when it was open.
Did Wober convert to Xenforo back when you were running it? I seem to remember it running MyBB, not sure if the the Wober Classic themes got re-implemented on Xenforo at some point. They still look nice, even in 2022.

(January 2nd, 2023 at 10:37 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Did Wober convert to Xenforo back when you were running it? I seem to remember it running MyBB, not sure if the the Wober Classic themes got re-implemented on Xenforo at some point. They still look nice, even in 2022.

We were on MyBB from 2013 - 2015. We've been on a few softwares over the years and we've used that theme across different platforms. I just find a good base theme and do a bunch of editing until it looks the same.
(January 2nd, 2023 at 10:46 PM)Nebulous Wrote:
(January 2nd, 2023 at 10:37 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Did Wober convert to Xenforo back when you were running it? I seem to remember it running MyBB, not sure if the the Wober Classic themes got re-implemented on Xenforo at some point. They still look nice, even in 2022.

We were on MyBB from 2013 - 2015.  We've been on a few softwares over the years and we've used that theme across different platforms.  I just find a good base theme and do a bunch of editing until it looks the same.

Ah, nice. It looks very faithful to the original Wober look and feel, you guys did a nice job porting it.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Darth-Apple's post:
  • Nebulous
(January 2nd, 2023 at 10:47 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote:
(January 2nd, 2023 at 10:46 PM)Nebulous Wrote:

We were on MyBB from 2013 - 2015.  We've been on a few softwares over the years and we've used that theme across different platforms.  I just find a good base theme and do a bunch of editing until it looks the same.

Ah, nice. It looks very faithful to the original Wober look and feel, you guys did a nice job porting it.

Thanks Heart
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nebulous's post:
  • Darth-Apple
If you could go back in time and change one thing about wober/offtopix, what would it be?
(January 3rd, 2023 at 12:11 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: If you could go back in time and change one thing about wober/offtopix, what would it be?

Maybe not closing it back in 2016. Who knows how big we'd be now if I never hit the pause button for 6 years...