Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Microsoft patches a vulnerability that has existed for 19 years - literally.

http://securityintelligence.com/ibm-x-fo...GS1eHW99TA

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30019976

A patch for this was apparently released on tuesday. I'm sure there are other undiscovered security flaws in windows that have yet to be discovered, and I'm afraid to find out. Luckily, as a non-IE user, I don't believe I would have really been at risk (back when I was a windows user, at least), but this is still pretty bad for quite a lot of PC users. 

Not sure what all of these Windows XP people are going to do if Microsoft doesn't release a patch for them as well. 

It's only that someone just found it. I'm sure there are hundreds of bugs in Microsoft OS's that just haven't been found yet. Same reason there are still security updates for Server 2003. That's 11 years ago, and they find new stuff every month.
Well I'm glad this was patched Smile. Have too many things to concern myself and don't wanna have to deal with any new like this.
It's crazy how many serious vulnerabilities exist that simply are not known. It's a little concerning. I'm glad I'm no longer a Windows user because I feel it won't ever be secure. It's certainly far better than it was 10 years ago, but I shouldn't have to pay for expensive software just to protect myself from OS vulnerabilities. Linux is completely free and is far more secure than Windows (though some credit can be given to some of the advantages of the open source ecosystem) Tongue

an people wonder why I prefer open source? Tongue
(May 30th, 2017 at 5:04 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: an people wonder why I prefer open source? Tongue

Yeah, definitely prefer open source. 

The WannaCry vulnerability that has been a hot-button topic the past few weeks is another one that has been around for years but only the NSA was using it. Crazy stuff. 
(May 30th, 2017 at 11:01 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(May 30th, 2017 at 5:04 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: an people wonder why I prefer open source? Tongue

Yeah, definitely prefer open source. 

The WannaCry vulnerability that has been a hot-button topic the past few weeks is another one that has been around for years but only the NSA was using it. Crazy stuff. 

you know the NSA actually pays microsoft to put vulnerabilities in their OS as back doors so they can use them for "counter-terrorism Purposes"
And that's f*** shitty... :/