Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The death penalty

Some would argue that being behind bars for life is actually a worse punishment. I see the reasoning behind that, but I disagree for a couple of reasons personally. 

A) People on death row tend to stay there for at least a decade or so on average. They are getting plenty of time behind bars to reflect and are in less than luxurious living conditions while they are at it. Death row is not going to be one of the more pleasant prisons that one can be in during this time.

B) Generally, the vast majority of death penalty cases are murder cases. If you murder someone else, the death penalty is symbolic to society, and is more than just pain to the criminal. Death is justice in these circumstances. 

Now, that doesn't deal with the fact that the death penalty may be wrongly given to innocent individuals. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and it is a very sad reality. I personally don't think it should ever be administered in cases where the jury isn't completely and totally certain of a criminal's guilt. 

What are your thoughts on the use of the death penalty? Do you feel it is ethical? Do you feel it should be administered, whether morally acceptable or not?

It honestly depends for me. While I see it as a way to show the public that your life can be ended by your deadly actions towards another human being, I can see why it should be debated. A lot of the criminals at large do not receive the death penalty, because they plead mental illness, or simply kill themselves before authorities get to them, examples being the people who commit the large shooting crimes, schools, theaters, the marathon, ect, here in America. Most of the time, if the criminal does not kill themselves, they generally get away with pleading a mental illness for the motive behind their actions. They then receive medical help, and rehabilitation for a while, then prison. The death penalty is given out to people who are innocent by mistake sometimes, because we do not have a perfect or fair justice system in place. I think until we can get it figured out, or know 100% that the person is guilty of said crime, then the death penalty needs to be abolished, its simply too unstable at the moment, or the wrong people are getting punished with it in my eyes.
Good points. I think it is often used in situations where it shouldn't be used because of doubts about a convicted criminal's guilt. Of course, no jury will convict someone and sentence them to death without being completely sure, but we've all learned from society that people can think they are right and be totally wrong about almost anything. When someone's life is at stake, serious things are at hand.

The death penalty should be last resort in my opinion. Wouldn't that be what the criminal wants? Get away with killing someone, or multiple people, knowing he will have a quick painless death, and not have to suffer for very long in a prison?
It's symbolic to society though. I'm always surprised at how people who face life in prison still have such a strong will to live. People don't want to die, and I don't think prison necessarily changes that. Then again, I've seen people that have been on death row for a mere year or so, and that's not long enough in my opinion. But hey, tax dollars get wasted on this stuff. Tongue

I do believe in vengeance and sometimes death is the only true justice. The only time I'd morally accept capital punishment is if the person is undeniably guilty for truly atrocious crimes. For example, the Columbine shooters should have been executed, if they didn't already kill themselves.
(November 17th, 2014 at 12:45 PM)Urban Wrote: I do believe in vengeance and sometimes death is the only true justice. The only time I'd morally accept capital punishment is if the person is undeniably guilty for truly atrocious crimes. For example, the Columbine shooters should have been executed, if they didn't already kill themselves.

Agreed. 

Oh, and welcome to the forums! Big Grin

Personally I think criminals like that should be put to work in asteroid mining gulags, they could die by opening the airlock and committing suicide, but if they want to wait out their time well... they're a VERY long ways from home

besides, then they'd actually be bringing a tangible benefit to society and those victims who are still around.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prince Philip death tc4me 3 2,014 April 13th, 2021 at 1:06 PM
Last Post: Kyng