Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Slideshow web pages

The modern trend of web design... instead of actually, you know, making a web page in standard article form, you make it in slideshow form and make people click like 20 times to read three paragraphs. And it's a great idea, for, you know, webmasters.

Why? ad revenue. I personally find it so annoying that the moment I see a page that uses this, I immediately close the tab, only to be confronted with a bunch of popups and an alert notification trying to get me to stay on the page.

I mean, totally understand the need to make revenue. I have expenses of my own to keep projects online, but there are ways about getting the revenue without alienating users. To each their own, but they certainly won't get traffic from me. Anyone else find this extremely annoying?

A few ads on the side are cool, but what you are describing are really annoying.
Yup, slideshow articles are a tad bit annoying. Period.

(October 2nd, 2014 at 4:09 PM)Electric2Shock Wrote: Yup, slideshow articles are a tad bit annoying. Period.

Agreed. I've seen even more of them pop up across more websites recently. It's so freaking annoying. I saw one recently that had a link for "view as a single page" that was quite useful. Most have not bothered to implement it, or haven't made it obvious if they have, however. 

There's a term for what you're talking about... clickbait. They lure you in with an eye-catching title, then if they can reload the page on each slide and display a different set of ads, they can bring in far more revenue. That and once you've started reading through the slides you will be eager to find out what happens at the end of the story.

In other words, they know exactly what they're doing :o)

(sorry to revive this but I was thinking about this the other day and wanted to get it off my chest Tongue)
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
you're totally right though, it's an excellent scam to get more ad revenue
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
As soon as I hit a page that's a slideshow, I exit. Not worth it to me. I HATE THEM!
(March 20th, 2018 at 8:26 PM)Guardian Wrote: As soon as I hit a page that's a slideshow, I exit. Not worth it to me. I HATE THEM!

Same. They are ridiculously common nowadays. Unbelievably annoying.  Confused

they should make something like adblock for slideshow pages lol
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(March 28th, 2018 at 5:04 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: they should make something like adblock for slideshow pages lol

Haha right! It's much needed! Tongue Finna