Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Do you think Facebook is declining?

Surely Facebook has attracted itself a huge following, especially over the recent years. I have been on Facebook for a few years now, and it's certainly changed quite a bit. When I joined, it was perfectly acceptable to post 20 posts daily because everyone else was doing the same thing. Nowadays that's changed quite a bit.

Then again, facebook has become a huge way of getting in contact with people. It's become easier than email, so why not? So, the question is, has facebook begun to decline? Be sure to reply with your thoughts.

I think facebook is a place for:
1. Zynga games D:
2. People who find the need to propose via the internet :| (I've seen it happen once :|)
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
Propose via the internet? Wow... Tell me facebook isn't being used for online dating too? Tongue

I've heard of worse proposal ideas, but not many.

I wish facebook was declining and I hope it is. That's all I'm saying Tongue
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
Facebook is convenient for getting into contact with people who are far away, etc. but it certainly has changed over the years since Ive gotten it. Whether its in decline is meh, but other networking sites (twitter, instagram, etc.) are certainly becoming more prevalent.
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
(June 10th, 2013 at 2:38 AM)simlink link Wrote: Facebook is convenient for getting into contact with people who are far away, etc. but it certainly has changed over the years since Ive gotten it. Whether its in decline is meh, but other networking sites (twitter, instagram, etc.) are certainly becoming more prevalent.

Well said.

Looking at this graph, it tells me that Facebook is continuing to register new members at its current rate

http://www.benphoster.com/wp-content/upl...-Chart.png

But looking at Google Trends, it tells me that interest in Facebook has peaked. I think we will start seeing user registration slow down, but unless there's a viable alternative, I don't think we'll see Facebook bleed the way Myspace did.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=f...ube&cmpt=q
Why do you think MySpace bleed? I still use MySpace. I love the new layout that they have created. You guys should use MySpace too. I will give you my link if you want, so we can be friends...
[Image: mrnc7tt5xg8n7y494418.jpg]
(September 24th, 2013 at 6:29 PM)Warwick Wrote: Why do you think MySpace bleed? I still use MySpace. I love the new layout that they have created. You guys should use MySpace too. I will give you my link if you want, so we can be friends...

The problem with Myspace in my opinion started when they sold out to News Corp. They couldn't innovate, and the code for the site was pretty sloppy. Then came Facebook, taking away users from Myspace, starting with college students, then to the general public. But anyway, you should really check out that google trends graph I posted because it shows the trend curve between the two platforms, and I think it's pretty reflective of what happened during those years.

Perseonally, I didn't like that Myspace deleted everyone's classic myspace profile. Lost all my comments, blog posts and messages. Strangely, I don't really miss them at all. But still, imho bad practice for the company.
social media these days is all about innovation. I almost wonder if that will be facebook's downfall as well, but if facebook were to go downhill, I get the sense that it would have happened already by now. Facebook has a fair share of the social media market by now, without a doubt.

MySpace was always junky. They covered it with advertisements. Page-loading music was one of the worst ideas they came up with. So far, I haven't seen Facebook make any major bad decisions.
(September 25th, 2013 at 1:11 PM)spork985 Wrote: MySpace was always junky. They covered it with advertisements. Page-loading music was one of the worst ideas they came up with. So far, I haven't seen Facebook make any major bad decisions.

Well they went public. That was bad decision #1 Tongue

Is that what caused the advertisements? I didn't use it much and don't have much knowledge of how it evolved.
The advertisements were there long before the company went public. From what I hear, the whole going public thing didn't exactly go as expected.

The problem with marketing and building a company funded entirely on advertisements is that it isn't really a stable form of income. The market changes, and advertisement revenue can fluctuate dramatically. It definitely does put Facebook at a disadvantage as a public company against companies with actual sales.

I would never go public. For game developers at least, this is bad news. The shareholders just love milking the cash cows that are your poor quality games that they make you rush. (Case in point: EA).
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
What does going public mean?
You can buy/sell stocks.
(September 25th, 2013 at 3:00 AM)AtlasWest Wrote: Perseonally, I didn't like that Myspace deleted everyone's classic myspace profile. Lost all my comments, blog posts and messages. Strangely, I don't really miss them at all. But still, imho bad practice for the company.
Is that what they did? Wow! I didn't know that. I joined MySpace later, after that had happened. I would have been pretty upset too, if my profile would have been deleted just like that and the site just told me to start over. I understand now a little better why MySpace declined like that...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Google is too large? Darth-Apple 0 3,793 June 14th, 2013 at 4:45 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple