Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Laptop = Ordered

I settled for a lenovo, partly because of the reputation with the company. There were a few hiccups in the ordering process, but now that the order has been fixed, I'm excited about getting first new PC in about five years.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails...5340008B64

It's got a nice i5 and 8GB of RAM too. This is gonna be one awesome machine. Tongue

Glad you made the choice to get this one Smile
It's above my budget, but man that 8 gigs of RAM and that i5 are attractive... this thing is gonna be great. Tongue

Eww... Intel... Sleepy
[Image: mrnc7tt5xg8n7y494418.jpg]
(June 13th, 2014 at 10:56 AM)Warwick Wrote: Eww... Intel... Sleepy

I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy myself, but I had a bit of trouble finding the right machine that was AMD powered, in my price range, and had decent graphics according to the benchmarks. I did find an excellent AMD powered deal from somewhere, but it was above my price range, so I ended up going with the Intel powered PCs.

What I'm looking to do depends a lot on good single threaded performance anyway, so I'm not complaining. Big Grin

Woo, you ordered the fancy one! Nice. Big Grin
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
It arrived today... man this thing is huge! Tongue

Overall, it's great so far. I'm mostly just creating recovery images and installing the default crapware so far. And I've learned for the second time that I'm not particularly a fan of Windows 8. I plan on dual booting it with Ubuntu and giving it a second attempt now that they have a new LTS release out.

Anyone have any recommendations on good anti virus software for Windows 8, considering that Security Essentials apparently isn't offered?

McAfee is good Smile I use it.
It came preinstalled on mine, and it kept spamming me, so I removed it. Tongue

Right now, I think I'll use malwarebytes free for manual scans, and AVG free for realtime protection. I'm not a huge fan of AVG, but I think it will do for now, despite the fact that it really, really loves to detect "archive bombs" Tongue

(June 16th, 2014 at 6:40 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: It came preinstalled on mine, and it kept spamming me, so I removed it. Tongue
You removed licensed McAfee to install free AVG? Huh OK, I'm just gonna go ahead and say it: that was a weird decision.
[Image: mrnc7tt5xg8n7y494418.jpg]
Nah, it was a 30 day trial. It wasn't a full license. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Overclocking your laptop? Vaulient 3 3,329 February 10th, 2019 at 7:52 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  The search for a laptop has begun... Darth-Apple 9 16,436 June 3rd, 2017 at 5:10 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Considering a New Laptop... CapTon 7 10,295 August 13th, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Last Post: CapTon