Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Preferred linux distribution

Personally, I'm a huge linux fan. It's also much nicer with RAM usage, making it a good option for older computers as well. With distributions such as Ubuntu, openSUSE, and Fedora, Linux is no longer something only an expert can use. My personal preference is Fedora, as Ubuntu seems to be losing its quality a bit.

What is your preference?

My preference is Arch, but I use Mint. I prefer arch because its simple and lightweight, and doesn't force any DE on you from the start. I'm currently using Xfce for my desktop.
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
Ah, interesting to hear of Xfce being used. I've heard of it and tried it, but for some reason I just stuck with Ubuntu's default Unity interface, which I never really cared for.

I'll have to try arch under a virtual machine. Seems like a nice distribution.

If you don't mind spending hours or even days setting it up that is. Tongue
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
Running Debian jesse/sid and CentOS 6.4 in a dual-boot configuration on a Dell XPS13 Ultrabook. Personally, I prefer working with Debian, but had to also have some Red Hat flavor handy for business.
Agreed, debian definitely belongs up there with the classics.

I only really use Linux for servers. I prefer CentOS because it's similar to Redhat. To be fair, I haven't really tried using Debian or anything else.
I prefer debian/ubuntu based anything simply because of natural compatibility, but I have messed with arch, slackware, and mandriva before, I just prefer my apt Big Grin
The one time I used Ubuntu it was pretty nice, but my all-time favorite is Linux Mint.
Mint has outaken Ubuntu in popularity I believe. Unity kinda steered some people away i think... Tongue

I'm personally an apt-native myself. It was all I was ever really familiar with it and I've more or less stuck with it. Big Grin

(May 24th, 2017 at 12:50 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: Mint has outaken Ubuntu in popularity I believe. Unity kinda steered some people away i think... Tongue

I'm personally an apt-native myself. It was all I was ever really familiar with it and I've more or less stuck with it. Big Grin

yeah never liked unity, but Gnome 3 and unity both work really well with touch screens.

I still prefer lighter weight environments though.
Yeah, same. I like Gnome 3 a lot to be honest. I always switch out the theme and add a dash-to-panel plugin to have the sidebar thing that Unity has, because I hate having to go to the activities panel to switch tasks. I guess I'm just old school. Tongue

Interestingly enough Ubuntu is dropping Unity shortly and going back to Gnome. We shall see what this entails for the desktop world of Linux. It's definitely gonna shake things up a bit.

Lightweight? What about Puppy or Kali?
(May 24th, 2017 at 11:23 PM)Guardian Wrote: Lightweight? What about Puppy or Kali?

Open box is most light weight without killing functionality Tongue

ever use crunch bang?
(May 25th, 2017 at 6:36 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote:
(May 24th, 2017 at 11:23 PM)Guardian Wrote: Lightweight? What about Puppy or Kali?

ever use crunch bang?

Nope. Not at all.
(May 25th, 2017 at 10:28 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(May 25th, 2017 at 6:36 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote:

ever use crunch bang?

Nope. Not at all.

I don't think it's being developed anymore but I used it exclusively for the longest time.
Debian based open box distro with TINT menu bar and conky for the interface, it ran fast even on the Pentium 4 laptop I had at the time, was able to watch HD videos due to the excess CPU and ram available.

said laptop was an HP I resurrected from a recycling place.

guess I took it from 1 HP to 100 XD
so I'm going to have to revise this now...

I like open box for my old machines but I'm now going to have to say my favorite OS is Ubuntu server, because it's got all the niceties of ubuntu without the gui so I can customize it as needed.

basically, my favorite distro is one that's as bare bones as it gets so I can set it up however I want without any bloat...

take that as you will lol.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Arch Linux master race
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Preferred hardware manufacturer Daniel 16 9,985 February 22nd, 2019 at 3:43 AM
Last Post: Thomas