Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What have you been reading?

What is the latest book you have been reading? It doesn't matter if it takes you one day or three months. If you're like me, you rarely catch a moment and it takes forever to get through more than two chapters. Tongue

Personally, I've lately been slowly re-reading Machievelli's The Prince. It's not the most amazing work ever, but I find it interesting for the purposes of knowing European history at the time of its writing. 

I have been reading a series known as "The Demonata" by Daaren Shan. Smile
Just finished reading "The Darkest Minds" trilogy. It was my kind of series. Dystopian and whatnot Tongue.
(November 11th, 2014 at 5:18 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: What is the latest book you have been reading? It doesn't matter if it takes you one day or three months. If you're like me, you rarely catch a moment and it takes forever to get through more than two chapters. Tongue

Personally, I've lately been slowly re-reading Machievelli's The Prince. It's not the most amazing work ever, but I find it interesting for the purposes of knowing European history at the time of its writing. 
Strange. I've also been very interested in Machiavelli's work.

I'm taking an European History course right now and I didn't get to read in depth about him as much as I would like to.
I'm looking to read Lord of the Flies. Anyone willing to tell me what they think about it?
(November 23rd, 2014 at 1:34 AM)CapTon Wrote: I'm looking to read Lord of the Flies. Anyone willing to tell me what they think about it?

I've been meaning to read that book for almost a year now. I've been too busy to pick it up lately. Maybe I'll just work it in at some point. I hear it's a good book. 

I've heard it's good, too Smile but I just want some feedback so I don't end up wasting my time on a bad book.
I've been reading the mars trillogy by Kim Stanley Robinson, currently on green mars, it's great!
well worth a read! ^_^.

[Image: 2152e.jpg]

afterwards though I want to start the dark tower series by Stephen King (the first book is called "the gunslinger")
Just finished Everyday Survival by Laurence Gonzales. Good book, but it went off on a tangent and ended there. Tongue

Just started 1632 by Eric Flint. Seems I may have found me another Alternate History series to get lost in. Cool
I've just started reading the Circle of three light novel series by Isobel Bird, so far it's been, interesting, thank the gods I have my kindle because it's been next to impossible to find a physical copy lol.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
so a little while back I finished reading the webmage series, it's interesting because it combines cyberpunk and computer hacker fiction with Mythology and fantasy elements.

https://kellymccullough.com/the-webmage-story/

Basically it's about a godling/demi-god of the greek pantheon who uses god like powers and magic through computer principles and methods like magic based direct neural interfaces, magitech type AI Familiars, and hell some gods even have entire server farms that hold up their reality and gives them their powers making them like sysadmins of the universe!
sort of a different take on the concept of "Technomancy"

later on there's some cross pantheon stuff with the norse gods but I highly recommend the first book, it's really really great! I kept reading until the latest one published.
The Founding Foodies: How Washington, Jefferson, and Franklin Revolutionized American Cuisine
@ Guardian, sounds interesting, what are your thoughts on it so far?
(July 23rd, 2018 at 12:32 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: @ Guardian, sounds interesting, what are your thoughts on it so far?

Pretty good. Already a lot of history on the characters, but this book adds a whole new element. Their influences on what we consider normal in the US. 

Interesting fact: Colonials drank 5x as much alcohol and even children drank alcohol to keep from getting sick (tainted water)
(July 23rd, 2018 at 2:19 AM)Guardian Wrote:
(July 23rd, 2018 at 12:32 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: @ Guardian, sounds interesting, what are your thoughts on it so far?

Pretty good. Already a lot of history on the characters, but this book adds a whole new element. Their influences on what we consider normal in the US. 

Interesting fact: Colonials drank 5x as much alcohol and even children drank alcohol to keep from getting sick (tainted water)

ah yes, that one I knew because they'd been doing that for centuries, luckily what they drank back then wasn't that heavily fermented so it still hydrated you such as wine and some beers that we would consider watery these days.
(July 23rd, 2018 at 3:30 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: ah yes, that one I knew because they'd been doing that for centuries, luckily what they drank back then wasn't that heavily fermented so it still hydrated you such as wine and some beers that we would consider watery these days.

Everyone walking around inebriated... if it weren't dangerous, would be kinda funny to watch.
:-P right? Lol
Sky Raiders (Five Kindgoms).
Such a good book.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what web comics have you been reading/following lately? SpookyZalost 10 11,425 May 22nd, 2019 at 10:04 PM
Last Post: Guardian