Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What Are Your Offline Hobbies?

(May 24th, 2017 at 12:55 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: Did you ever play sports at any point? i played soccer as a kid. Big Grin

Played baseball and basketball competitively growing up. Only played football as pickup games with family and friends.

I currently play soccer with a local rec team. I'm just the goalkeeper, so not sure if that counts. Tongue
Hey it's still a good pastime! Big Grin

you know there is a sport I play sometimes lol.

golf!

but I'm not really all that good, It's just a good way to relax on a nice day.
(May 25th, 2017 at 2:04 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: Hey it's still a good pastime! Big Grin

It is.  Cool

(May 25th, 2017 at 11:09 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: golf!

Not a fan of it myself. I have... environmental issues with it.
Hmm, allergies?

(May 26th, 2017 at 3:13 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: Hmm, allergies?

Allergies are your hobby? Tongue
(May 26th, 2017 at 7:56 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(May 26th, 2017 at 3:13 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: Hmm, allergies?

Allergies are your hobby? Tongue

Haha nah i'd hope not? Tongue

i was asking if allergies were the reason you couldn't play golf... 

(May 26th, 2017 at 9:11 PM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: i was asking if allergies were the reason you couldn't play golf... 

Oh! No. I hate that they clear all that land, let it sit and dump millions of gallons of water and untold amounts of chemicals and petroleum keeping it maintained, just for a few people to hit a little ball around. Seems asinine to me. It could be productive farmland, or better, an untouched forest.
It's only a few square miles for a pastime that's a good part of our culture though! I never played golf, but I used to do a lot of cycling and I would go to the golf course and do a couple loops and get a good 15 miles in. Nothing really beats the scenery.

(May 26th, 2017 at 11:57 PM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: It's only a few square miles for a pastime that's a good part of our culture though! I never played golf, but I used to do a lot of cycling and I would go to the golf course and do a couple loops and get a good 15 miles in. Nothing really beats the scenery.

besides, as far as sports areas go, golf courses are really good for the environment and stuff given it doubles as a greenspace.
(May 26th, 2017 at 11:57 PM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: It's only a few square miles for a pastime that's a good part of our culture though! I never played golf, but I used to do a lot of cycling and I would go to the golf course and do a couple loops and get a good 15 miles in. Nothing really beats the scenery.

There are over 34,000 in the world (15,000 in the US) and they average 75 acres per course. That's over 2.5 million acres of land.

(May 27th, 2017 at 4:00 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: besides, as far as sports areas go, golf courses are really good for the environment and stuff given it doubles as a greenspace.

Couldn't be farther from the truth.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...gainstgolf
(May 28th, 2017 at 1:32 AM)Guardian Wrote:

There are over 34,000 in the world (15,000 in the US) and they average 75 acres per course. That's over 2.5 million acres of land.

(May 27th, 2017 at 4:00 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: besides, as far as sports areas go, golf courses are really good for the environment and stuff given it doubles as a greenspace.

Couldn't be farther from the truth.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...gainstgolf

Well I still enjoy playing a round every once in a while :\ can't be any worse than American Football Stadiums... 

* GRUNT GRUNT* TESTOSTERONE *GRUNT*  Angry

Tongue
(May 29th, 2017 at 2:12 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Well I still enjoy playing a round every once in a while :\ can't be any worse than American Football Stadiums... 

That is true for the building of, but that goes with any structure. The big difference is, a golf course provides entertainment for a few at a time, but a football stadium provides entertainment for up to 100,000 at a time. Much more bang for the environmental disaster buck.
I guess, also I noticed recently that most of my physical activities are actually useful training for space exploration.
rock climbing, swimming, hiking, etc... I just didn't notice until recently lol.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(May 14th, 2018 at 12:30 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: I guess, also I noticed recently that most of my physical activities are actually useful training for space exploration.
rock climbing, swimming, hiking, etc... I just didn't notice until recently lol.

Those are good ones. Seems a lot of people aren't interested in physical stuff anymore, and for many city dwellers its getting hard to come by. Even pools are becoming scarce I feel.
It's a shame too. I used to run pretty frequently just for its ability to be pretty uplifting. People spend so many hours in front of screens that they miss the real beauty in nature these days.

@Zalost: go join Elon musk and help put people on mars. Tongue

@Darth: I've actually met his brother, he lives here in town and occasionally frequents the local bar I visit on karaoke nights.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(May 15th, 2018 at 11:27 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: @Darth: I've actually met his brother, he lives here in town and occasionally frequents the local bar I visit on karaoke nights.

Wait you're kidding. That's insanely cool.