Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Most annoying drivers

You know, I've actually been looking into a trunk mounted directional microwave beam cannon for exactly this, should be safe with a short range of about 20 feet and any car newer than about 1967 would have its computer reboot causing the engine to stall and forcing them to stop without hurting anyone or anything.just have it pointed rear, and keep it hidden in the trunk since it goes through the frame. Can be made as small as a suitcase. Wouldn't use on highway for obvious reasons.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(March 15th, 2018 at 2:58 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: ...I've actually been looking into a trunk mounted directional microwave beam cannon...

Say what!?!?  Tongue

I've seriously considered a spotlight on the back to flash at drivers, especially those that leave their brights on behind you.
(March 15th, 2018 at 8:35 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(March 15th, 2018 at 2:58 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: ...I've actually been looking into a trunk mounted directional microwave beam cannon...

Say what!?!?  Tongue

I've seriously considered a spotlight on the back to flash at drivers, especially those that leave their brights on behind you.

surprisingly easier than you might think, you can get the parts from an old microwave... just make sure it's fully discharged first... and only dismantle it if you have a nice big open space to do it in, in case you have to run... KABOOM lol.

but effectively it's like a very short range directional EMP, and completely hidden,  seriously what are they going to say, 'oh I was following too close and then he made my car turn off"? lol who would believe them?
(March 16th, 2018 at 2:44 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: but effectively it's like a very short range directional EMP, and completely hidden,  seriously what are they going to say, 'oh I was following too close and then he made my car turn off"? lol who would believe them?

I definitely like this idea better. Would be hysterical!
plus if they're talking on their phone it would reboot as well!
(March 17th, 2018 at 12:11 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: plus if they're talking on their phone it would reboot as well!

Kill it for good. I don't why every other person on the road is on their phone. They're all talking to each other!
I don't care how adept you think you are, nobody can control a vehicle at 60 mph and text at the same time. The other day someone was cruising along at 50 in a 70 in the left lane, next to a tractor trailer going faster than him.. guy in the passing lake was on his d*** phone.
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
(March 17th, 2018 at 6:48 PM)pupper_donut Wrote: I don't care how adept you think you are, nobody can control a vehicle at 60 mph and text at the same time. The other day someone was cruising along at 50 in a 70 in the left lane, next to a tractor trailer going faster than him.. guy in the passing lake was on his d*** phone.

Nope. I have no mercy for these people. More likely to kill someone with your phone/car than anything else. Angry
Yep... And it's more dangerous than driving drunk. That says something.

Apple actually put a new feature on their phones recently to block incoming text messages if it detects that you're driving. Kudos to Apple for moving the ball forward on that one. Big Grin

(March 19th, 2018 at 4:10 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: block incoming text messages if it detects that you're driving. 

How do they know you're not riding with someone? That could be annoying.
The user can deactivate it, but as far as I know it's something the user has to proactively enable/disable.

On one hand, it's a good idea. On the other, I can't see it working too well. Too bad people just don't drive and use their phone simultaneously...
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
funny thing is the whole driving becoming more dangerous thing coupled with automated cars was predicted by issac asimov back in the early 1950's.

in one of his short stories he briefly mentions that the us government and eventually the world had made manual driving illegal due to the fact that having cars drive themselves (in that particular case using positronic brains), created a decrease in car related accidents by over 80%.

honestly I could see that happening in the next 20 years.
(March 20th, 2018 at 5:36 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: funny thing is the whole driving becoming more dangerous thing coupled with automated cars was predicted by issac asimov back in the early 1950's.

in one of his short stories he briefly mentions that the us government and eventually the world had made manual driving illegal due to the fact that having cars drive themselves (in that particular case using positronic brains), created a decrease in car related accidents by over 80%.

Agreed. 

I think the main obstacle towards better development and adoption of autonomous driving technology right now is that if there is an accident, someone ends up getting sued into the dirt over it in court. And I imagine that's a big part of what's deterring some people right now.

(March 21st, 2018 at 1:48 PM)Hans Squeaky Wrote:
(March 20th, 2018 at 5:36 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: funny thing is the whole driving becoming more dangerous thing coupled with automated cars was predicted by issac asimov back in the early 1950's.

Agreed. 

I think the main obstacle towards better development and adoption of autonomous driving technology right now is that if there is an accident, someone ends up getting sued into the dirt over it in court. And I imagine that's a big part of what's deterring some people right now.

that's exactly why I think that asimov made it a government thing so that automated cars become the domain of the transportation department, like highways and passenger rail and such, so if something goes wrong it falls under those rules.
That would definitely help protect the companies that develop it. I do think that as it stands now, there is still a lot of public discomfort with the idea (despite the fact that autonomous techonology, I think, has become safer than actual human drivers nowadays).

The future is coming, albeit a little slower than thought... Finna

@darth: Ironically over at o'riley autoparts you can get a "flux capacitor" for $130 Wink