Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[Software] Benchmarking some machines. WIP.

Only saw reply now sry for late response

I've done the research on dual-channel memory and you're more or less right on that. And even then, the most performance increase you'll get is around 20% and only when you're trying to address something at 128bits (2x 64bit).

But this is why it's incredibly important to consider from my results:

In the UserBenchMark results, you can actually see the history of all the tests I did to see what would happen if I changed some settings, and most notably, my SSD seemed to be performing absolutely f*** terribly during my first few tests:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/27878517

Yes, it's still significantly faster than the average, but notice that it's at the bottom 3% of performance (3rd percentile) among other 970 EVOs.
Why?
RAM Caching was disabled.
In other words, the CPU was the bottleneck in writing to the disk.

Turn RAM caching on, and it gets to almost the exact mid-point for performance among the same model, and almost exactly double the total speeds.
Because it has double the addressing capability that a 64bit CPU can't provide natively.

Now, you can f*** with it even more by using memory and disk compression, but that causes ridiculous CPU load which I don't need in a laptop, so that's gone.
But, the performance benefits are certainly there to make the most of the disk.

And yeah that's why people only mention the benefits while gaming; games require a f*** of reading data from assets and writing data to the display memory segments. So naturally you'll see that performance boost especially with the cache enabled.

Messages In This Thread
Benchmarking some machines. WIP. - by Lain - April 18th, 2020 at 7:57 PM
RE: Benchmarking some machines. WIP. - by Lain - April 19th, 2020 at 7:50 AM
RE: Benchmarking some machines. WIP. - by Lain - April 28th, 2020 at 5:58 PM
RE: Benchmarking some machines. WIP. - by Lain - May 7th, 2020 at 9:13 PM
RE: Benchmarking some machines. WIP. - by Guardian - May 7th, 2020 at 10:17 PM
RE: Benchmarking some machines. WIP. - by Lain - May 7th, 2020 at 10:34 PM
RE: Benchmarking some machines. WIP. - by Lain - May 11th, 2020 at 3:06 AM
RE: Benchmarking some machines. WIP. - by Darth-Apple - May 12th, 2020 at 11:04 PM
RE: Benchmarking some machines. WIP. - by Lain - May 27th, 2020 at 12:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Project] [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) Lain 11 5,907 March 4th, 2020 at 7:57 PM
Last Post: Lain