Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[Project Journal] The Karatlev Region

Update 3
This update will be focusing mainly on a tile away from the main city which I named Gevril Crossing, which is almost entirely farmland due to its lowland but distant location. Developing farmland is a much smoother experience than suburbs for me, mostly due to the reduced crashes and more straightforward population dynamics.

This is most of what I've done in the region since the last update. It's fun seeing how fast I can run out of money as I develop farmlands 'too quickly' to maintain my budget without having the financial advisor get angry. In both the tiles I've done like this, I've had to take out loans just to continue filling in the farmland as fast as I wanted to. Here is the money and farmland population situation in Gevril Crossing:
[Image: rYo4GtY.png?1]
[Image: 5dFKoO5.png?1]
I bet you can guess when I took the loan from this Tongue

The way I play this region has it mostly unpaused except for when I am zoning each farm, so it doesn't develop in the middle of my zoning for it, so these charts after about Y4 mean basically continuous farm zoning. This is how the edges of the development have looked basically continually since I started, albeit usually with even more farms waiting to develop along the edge:
[Image: 2LLLeLv.png]

There are two unnamed settlements in the tile, along with a third area waiting for farms to reach it so it can be settled as well. This first one I developed right after starting the tile and zoning a few farms in the southeast corner of the tile mainly to get more income:
[Image: 2Eidy6b.png]

The second one came later, when I decided the shoreline needed another settlement, as it is the shoreline after all, and we all know how people love to live along the shores:
[Image: U5xzGDJ.png]
In case you are wondering, the shorelines have a somewhat odd relationship with the land as Karatlev is built on an automatically generated region with the Landscape Designer tool, which has shallow sloped terrain everywhere, including at coastlines. In some places, the terrain slope is so shallow that Simcity 4 is seemingly unable to "decide" whether a patch of land is water or land, with it allowing you to build streets and zones on it, but showing the coastline as being above that elevation, especially when zoomed out.

A third settlement, larger than the other two, is soon to be developed (in game time of course Tongue ). For now, it is surrounded by single farm tiles so I know where to zone in the future.
[Image: FqWHoJV.png]

And that concludes today's update! Thanks for reading and commenting, everyone! The next update should be in less than ten months' time.

Messages In This Thread
The Karatlev Region - by Darvince - April 25th, 2019 at 7:02 AM
RE: The Karatlev Region - by Towncrafter - April 25th, 2019 at 7:08 AM
RE: The Karatlev Region - by Guardian - April 26th, 2019 at 7:42 PM
RE: The Karatlev Region - by brian51 - April 27th, 2019 at 11:16 AM
RE: The Karatlev Region - by pierreh - April 28th, 2019 at 7:31 AM
RE: The Karatlev Region - by Darvince - May 7th, 2019 at 6:25 AM
RE: The Karatlev Region - by Darvince - May 7th, 2019 at 8:01 AM
RE: The Karatlev Region - by Towncrafter - May 7th, 2019 at 2:25 PM
RE: The Karatlev Region - by Guardian - May 7th, 2019 at 9:58 PM
RE: The Karatlev Region - by SpookyZalost - May 8th, 2019 at 1:58 AM
RE: The Karatlev Region - by Guardian - February 6th, 2020 at 11:03 PM