Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Do you setup a SWAP space on your drive?

(July 9th, 2018 at 5:50 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Yea it's definitely not really as much of an advantage when you have an SSD. It's much faster on SSDs, but it's absolutely awful for the health of an SSD, you're right.

I have 16GB or RAM so it's basically useless for me. Linux still set a tiny one up when I installed it, and Mac OS still used a 1Gb one for some reason. I actually need to remove a stick of RAM because it's starting to go bad and has caused random system probems. I plan on doing that soon, but removing a stick of RAM can actually slow down your computer beyond just losing RAM. Turns out RAM is twice as fast when paired with another stick that's of the same type. Tongue

yeah that's part of the nature of DDR or Double Data Rate type ram, it's more efficient to use two identical ram sticks instead of just one, especially if you have the CPU data lanes to take advantage of this, that's why there's rows of dual sets of colors where the ram mounts.

something I learned in my A+ cert course textbook Tongue

just be glad it's not parity bit SIMMS... that stuff is slow.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Do you setup a SWAP space on your drive? - by SpookyZalost - July 8th, 2018 at 12:05 AM
RE: Do you setup a SWAP space on your drive? - by Thomas - July 8th, 2018 at 2:15 PM
RE: Do you setup a SWAP space on your drive? - by SpookyZalost - July 9th, 2018 at 11:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you still use an optical drive? Gmdykfuiygh66476 14 11,667 June 19th, 2020 at 10:10 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
Question which External Hard drive PS4 ? tc4me 3 2,468 May 8th, 2020 at 3:58 PM
Last Post: tc4me