Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Jetta's Oil Filter from Hell

I, hereby, shall rant about the difficulties of changing oil on my 2007 Jetta. 

Love this car to death, but the time for an oil change had come. It's an $130 oil change, no idea why really, but it is. Takes six quarts of synthetic oil, which costs me around $30 plus the filter, which is maybe $5 or so. Needless to say, I save a lot of money just doing it myself every 7,500 miles or so. 

Last time I tried to get it changed, however, the oil filter, I swear, was on so tight it was absolutely impossible to remove after hours or work and a few different oil filter wrenches that had costed me more than the oil itself. It was a little frustrating, and I figured, eventually, that perhaps I could get away with just changing the oil itself and forgetting the filter. 

So that being said, this time around, the filter really kinda needed to be changed. It had been 15K miles, and not changing your filter after that long is a terrible idea for the quality of the oil that you're running in your engine, and is altogether not good for the longevity of its internal parts by any means. 

It took wedging screwdrivers in and out of the wrench tool, a lot of tape, three different wrench socket tools and two ratchets, a steel bar that was several feet long as a lever, and hours of arm labor to finally break it loose. The feeling of finally getting that filter off was worth its weight in gold. 

And of course, I was presented with a clogged filter. Figures that it probably hadn't been changed in who knows how long. And additionally, it's doubtful the people that changed the oil before I bought the car bothered to change it. If they did, shame on them for tightening it as much as they did.

Hence, why I always do my own maintenance on my vehicles. I find it hard to trust anyone else. Tongue

Messages In This Thread
My Jetta's Oil Filter from Hell - by Darth-Apple - March 8th, 2018 at 12:53 AM
RE: My Jetta's Oil Filter from Hell - by Guardian - March 8th, 2018 at 10:32 PM
RE: My Jetta's Oil Filter from Hell - by Darth-Apple - March 11th, 2018 at 2:24 AM
RE: My Jetta's Oil Filter from Hell - by Gmdykfuiygh66476 - March 13th, 2018 at 12:22 AM
RE: My Jetta's Oil Filter from Hell - by Darth-Apple - March 15th, 2018 at 4:42 AM
RE: My Jetta's Oil Filter from Hell - by SpookyZalost - March 15th, 2018 at 3:03 AM
RE: My Jetta's Oil Filter from Hell - by Gmdykfuiygh66476 - March 15th, 2018 at 7:21 AM
RE: My Jetta's Oil Filter from Hell - by Thomas - April 16th, 2018 at 5:24 AM
RE: My Jetta's Oil Filter from Hell - by Darth-Apple - April 16th, 2018 at 1:09 PM
RE: My Jetta's Oil Filter from h*** - by tc4me - May 27th, 2020 at 5:21 PM
RE: My Jetta's Oil Filter from h*** - by Darth-Apple - May 27th, 2020 at 5:49 PM
RE: My Jetta's Oil Filter from h*** - by tc4me - May 27th, 2020 at 6:02 PM
RE: My Jetta's Oil Filter from h*** - by Darth-Apple - May 27th, 2020 at 6:39 PM
RE: My Jetta's Oil Filter from h*** - by tc4me - May 27th, 2020 at 6:52 PM
RE: My Jetta's Oil Filter from h*** - by SpookyZalost - October 9th, 2020 at 6:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil Changes Darth-Apple 17 14,413 October 8th, 2020 at 10:07 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  What’s normal in terms of oil consumption? Darth-Apple 7 4,197 October 7th, 2020 at 3:37 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost