Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Indie City Simulation Games

So I've always been a huge fan of the Simcity franchise. Unfortunately, the new Simcity has apparently had a lot of older fans disappointed, and I haven't really had the money to shell out on it to give it a shot yet. (Some people really love it, but apparently that's mostly newer players of the franchise, and it isn't really anything like the older versions of the game.) Cities XL wasn't bad, but it's starting to become a bit outdated and due to some bugs, it never became as popular as games such as SC4 did.

It seems that some new indie gamers and programmers have been independently working on some new interesting projects in recent years. I doubt that an indie game would overnight become as advanced as Cities XL was, but hey, it's interesting seeing what people can come up with. In particular, Banished was recently released, which looks interesting. Although I haven't tried it myself yet, the reviews for it have been great so far. (The concept isn't quite the same as what you'd expect to see in a traditional simcity game. It's more of a survival kind of a game, but it's neat to see something unique. )

Project Avalon is also a browser based project that looks very interesting over at Simtropolis. I've been following the project since its earlier stages of development, and the developer is doing a fantastic job on it so far. With it being browser based, compatibility won't be as much of an issue either, although I imagine the graphical complexity will be a bit limited in the long run. Hey, it means that the simulation will end up being the focus, so I can't complain. I think it's a brilliant idea personally.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the indie market for city simulation games? For the other fans of the Simcity franchise out there, what would you like to see happen in this particular corner of the gaming market?

Messages In This Thread
Indie City Simulation Games - by Darth-Apple - May 15th, 2014 at 3:41 PM
RE: Indie City Simulation Games - by simlink - May 24th, 2014 at 4:05 AM
RE: Indie City Simulation Games - by CapTon - May 27th, 2014 at 9:31 AM
RE: Indie City Simulation Games - by Darth-Apple - May 27th, 2014 at 2:06 PM
RE: Indie City Simulation Games - by CapTon - May 27th, 2014 at 7:22 PM
RE: Indie City Simulation Games - by Guardian - June 7th, 2018 at 11:57 PM
RE: Indie City Simulation Games - by Darth-Apple - June 8th, 2018 at 12:04 AM
RE: Indie City Simulation Games - by Guardian - June 8th, 2018 at 1:11 AM
RE: Indie City Simulation Games - by Darvince - December 30th, 2018 at 3:29 AM
RE: Indie City Simulation Games - by Guardian - December 30th, 2018 at 4:22 AM
RE: Indie City Simulation Games - by zoldos - March 7th, 2019 at 4:26 AM